Pedal tinkerers - any hope for my Catalinbread DLS?

What's Hot
thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
My Catalinbread DLS (first version three knobs & Rock/Rawk toggle) is ailing and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas or fancied a tinkering project to keep them entertained through these long wintry nights?

Basically, it's suffered a dramatic loss of gain and correspondingly volume level plus the tone control has stopped working. I've successfully managed to lever the thing out of the case without causing it any (apparent) damage and there are no obvious shorts or visible problems. And outside of the shell there appears to be slightly more gain available (could be all of the rear of the PCB is in contact with my thigh?).

If anyone's got any ideas for quick fixes or obvious checks I'd be most grateful?

If anyone fancies taking it on as a project then it's no use to me in its present state… 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1592
    Could be a dry joint in the signal path or a blown transistor. Id say an easy fix for a diy'er. I would offer to fix but im maxed out at present.
  • No probs Dano - thanks for the troubleshooting hints I'll attempt a bit of detective work... 
  • I should have said that I'm quite happy to post this to anyone who fancies their chances with it. If you can fix it I'll either pay you or you can have the pedal for peanuts (cost me £100 a few years ago).
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    Throw it my way, if you fancy - I've built a few & fixed some stuff. Not fussed about getting anything out of it, as long as you'll cover the postage.
  • Thanks Misterg! I'll PM you now.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    Nothing yet...
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hey guys, common error, @thewiddler you posted your PM on Misterg's wall / profile page.  Message button is top right on that page.  Think the Modmins should look into fixing this as it is a common error.  Hope that helps, cheers.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I have a mate in Germany that builds/mods and repairs all brands. He is very adept. PM me if you fancy his dets. He has done numerous Catalinbreads...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

:)
  • Thanks so much to @Misterg for fixing this for me. After some in-depth exploratory surgery he found one of the FETs had died and kindly replaced it - thanks Andy!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice save :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom