NYE Gig

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
So we are booked to play New Year in a pub - what's the expectation regarding the bells etc? Singer does the countdown? Do you play a song straight after or do you give it 10 mins? No DJ as far as we know.

Any good tips for doing the countdown musically? Or any other fun stuff you have done.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27567
    If your timing is good enough, do it in the middle of The Final Countdown.

Or the theme from Countdown.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Sporky said:

Timing wasn't great but I've done that a few times and it goes down well.

Most NYE pub gigs I've done have involved a pause in playing just before 12 and then either the singer organising a countdown or some variation,  a recording on CD etc.      Usually give it 10mins or so then get back on a play a few more tunes.    
    If you have a really confident and outgoing singer then you can get more involved but it can just sort itself - might be worth a chat with the landlord to check what they would prefer.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I have asked the organiser to confirm what they expect from us rather than there being any confusion!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Sporky said:

Or the theme from Countdown.

Or, if it's an especially dodgy pub, get @Moss in to do this:
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31366
    We've forgotten to do it for the last two years and have done it a couple of minutes late.
    Punters think it's hilarious and can't wait to get back on with the dancing anyway in our experience.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We did a really bad version of Auld Langswhatsit last year. 
  • Countdown with bells then Auld Lang Syne (a recording will suffice) is the important part, I wouldn't sweat over the other details.

One tip I would offer:
    Might be worth making an announcement a few mins before midnight that you are going to do the countdown, and say something along the lines of "i know we all have phones etc with the time on, but just so we all go at the same time, let's go by the clock on the bar".....otherwise you get people all piping up a minute or so early cos their phone's clock is wrong :)  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

We did a countdown to midnight, done by the singer, then did a  softly strummed version of Auld lang Syne for a couple of verses, breaking into a punked-up version of the same for another few verses, then on with the rest of the set.

Went down a storm.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    edited September 2016
    Anyone tried "Countdown to Extinction" by Megadeth?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha that'd be amazing!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@Flanging_Fred I'm willing to bet no, but I've given you a wow for one of my favourite bass tones ever....

In my band it's been suggested that instead of a swearbox we have a Deth box, into which one has to put €1 every time one is caught playing a Megadeth riff. \m/