SG improvements

What's Hot
Ok, just looking for some suggestions now - few months back i traded my mustang for a 2007 sg ebony special.
Now the 50's neck and fretboard has taken some getting used to but no doubt has definately helped my technique improve, especially lead riffs as i tended to stick to rhythm mainly.
But, and this may be me, i always end up playing "heavy" tunes on it because the pickups sound (to me anyways) "metal" sounding if that makes sense?
With that in mind can anyone suggest any mods that i can do or any pickup types that would give a bit more versatility?
Its totally stock at the moment, i including the wiring/caps.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    The stock pickups on those are quite "rock". 57 Classics are a good choice for an SG for more vintage-flavoured tones, or, in what's becoming the stock reply for this forum, give Oil City a call and get him to wind you something even better for less money :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    +1 - the original pickups weren't great in mine, if I'm honest (but then I'm not a very 'rawk' player). I'd deffo speak to Ash at Oil City...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    BBC Service Announcement:  Other pickup providers are available.  :))
  • Impmann, what pups did you swap yours out for?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My SG type guitar has vintage PAF type spec pups I put in it and it covers most if not all bases, clean through to heavy.
  • Gibson 57s are more classic...

But for similar or less money, oil city pickups wind some bloody excellent lower output humbucker pickups. He does some paf style, and for something really cool, humbucker sized p90s or cow-t-ron, which are amazing.

Marc at mojo pickups is another brit winder who will get you boutique quality for fair money. I'm never getting pickups from anyone else but those guys.

Or emg. :D
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Try winding the pups down a mm or so from the strings first - the volume will drop but the tone 'headroom' should improve dramatically.  Do the bridge first, then balance the neck to get similar volume.

Failing that, I put Tonerider Alnico Classic IV's in this build of mine (below) in preference to Gibsons - they sound great...warm but clear.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Impmann, what pups did you swap yours out for?
    Classic 57s. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7130
    edited January 2014
    I've got a BK Mule in the neck of mine and a BK Steve Stevens in the bridge all wired up with a Shugz loom. It s a really versatile guitar now and as the original pickups were a bit brutal.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I've got Seymour Duncan 57 & JB in my SG. When I bought it, it had nasty DiMarzio fizzy tinny super-distortion pickups in it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31453
    What's in there now? If it's a 498T/490R pair they can do pretty much anything, I play country and rockabilly on 'em.
    I'd suggest moving the tone cap to the other lug on the volume pot (50s-style), whacking your amp volume and treble way up, put all the guitar's knobs on 5 then start experimenting from there. You might be amazed at what's already in there trying to get out. :)
  • Yeh, its the 498t/490r pups in it.
    Hmm interesting.
  • nice looking guitar @Andyjr1515 :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Try playing with a clean sound and resist the urge to turn up the distortion, not sure why everyone is clamouring to sell you new pups - do they all have shares in Oil City pickups?

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2873
    Thinks its just the peeps who have paid for Oil City pickups really dig them tbh.

I know i rave about the cow trons in my Riviera.

Of course theres loads of options, some very good too but guys like Ash and Marc from mojo are cooking some good shit as it were :)

Btw i love sgs.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I still say try dropping the height of the pups a bit before you do anything else. Takes 5 secs, it's free and it takes 5 secs to put it back if it makes no difference. I also agree with @SimpleSimon get it right on clean then add distortion back in :)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Yes - try some adjustment first.
    But I would say that  57 Classics are the best sounding pickup for an SG and also the safest suggestion for an SG.
    And cheap enough to buy second hand.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The one I've just got has been fitted with Burstbucker 1 and 2 and Shugz 50's wiring. It is a lot more sensitive to volume and tone settings and covers a lot of tonal ground.  I do have a temptation to see what it is like with P90s however.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3319
    I think you could make it much more versatile if you modded it back into a mustang ;)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    edited January 2014
    If you're worried about losing too much snap and bite changing to 57's they do occasionally put out runs of them with alnico 3 magnets instead of the usual 2. I have them in my SG and they're brill :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires