Interesting John Birch Stratocaster 80s! Never seen another

What's Hot
Interesting John Birch Stratocaster made in the 80s Never seen another... Anyone have any info on this guitar? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    It looks as though it still has the polythene film on the scratch plate!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Very odd body shape, almost 10% smaller all round 
  • Scratchplate looks too big for the body. 
  • Who the f*ck restrung that????
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Scratchplate looks too big for the body. 
    It's the right size,it's the body that's too small
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scratch plate isn't original i have the original the guitar is a bit of a mystery
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Looks bloody horrible, colour horrible, condition (although could obviously be cleaned) horrible, bridge saddles horrible, logo horrible, body shape horrible.

not for me then :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    That bottom E would bug the hell out of me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16642
    edited September 2016
    With JBs you get fairly decent "factory" guitars, totally random one offs which vary in quality depending if he liked you or not (I assume)... And the modded gibsons and fenders, which always seem like bodge jobs by today's standards. They clearly show he did not think much of them. 

who knows where this falls,  but it wouldn't be unheard of to be a modded version of something else.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • its a mystery i sent pictures to john birch they couldn't tell me anything about it either.

do you have pics of the rest of it, and under the plate... should be able to tell fairly quickly if its all made by JB
  • the black guard ain't original it come with this white guard which was original the bridge pickup was missing when bought.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Apologies, I meant the woodwork under the plate
  • I've owned a couple of JB's - if the old scratch plate has 11 knobs and 4 switches, it's probably original! ;-)
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Surely an anti-communist guitar shouldn't be red?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    With JBs you get fairly decent "factory" guitars, totally random one offs which vary in quality depending if he liked you or not (I assume)... And the modded gibsons and fenders, which always seem like bodge jobs by today's standards. They clearly show he did not think much of them. 

who knows where this falls,  but it wouldn't be unheard of to be a modded version of something else.

^This. 110%.

Also, I've seen any number of Birch-modded Strats and Teles with this blobby Fender logo:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Incidentally, I've got an old Jap Tele copy sporting the same logo and I recently saw another in for repair at my local music shop (although this one was - as is usual for John Birch 'upgrades') - sporting an additional plate, bristling with added switches and knobs.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• wbbawbba Frets: 1
    Hi James

I have a JB customised Stratocaster....In fact that's my guitar in the last picture.
    Still trying to get to the bottom of it's history. The serial number on the back plate dates it as 1960..still trying to suss which bits are original. Will upload some better pictures if you're interested.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom