Dream Rig/acoustic tones/amp?

Howdy
I have the dream rig, but obviously want to send the acoustic tones out to somewhere other than the dt25. Anyone else do this? I think I can send a feed from FX send to the PA, as long as I switch off amp modelling in the pod. Does anyone send the signal to a monitor first then on to the PA? I'm tempted to get an acoustic amp maybe?
Whatcha think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• In my rig I switch off the amp sims and use an IR/tone match in the cab block to make piezo pickups sound natural.  Otherwise it goes straight through the Rig as per normal.
  • through the dt amp? Do you not find the missing upper frequencies an issue?

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Koo sticks are all about the body or depth with a smooth mid range and crystal clear highs, all things that guitar amps are famous for not having.

I used my acoustic epiphone into a quality DI and on to the PA/mons live all the time. Even using your guitar amp just as a stage monitor interferes with the sound at FOH. 

If your electric has a piezo PU and you can send a direct feed out front, do it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited January 2014
    Piezo - DI - do it. completely agree.

Boss AD3/5/8 Acoustic DI boxes are ace for feedback suppression and de-piezo'ing the sound,
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Yeah there is a piezo pickup in the variax split at pod level. I don't think I'll need a DI cos the pod takes care of that?

• Pardon me, my mistake.  When you said dream rig, I thought you meant your idea set up.  If your setup can't take IRs then this is all a bit irrelevant.

through the dt amp? Do you not find the missing upper frequencies an issue?

With piezo pickup there are plenty of highs, the the Acoustic IR tames the sound.  Like @Jalapeno says, it de-piezos the sound, ie makes it sound natural.
  • thanks dudes - will have a go at routing the acoustic tones straight out to PA, should be able to monitor through wedges I guess?

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited January 2014
    @geepers0677

I got a set of these with the intention of one for monitor and one for backline, they also have a pass through to send (via balanced XLR) to the desk/FOH PA.

In reality one would be more than enough if sending to the PA and you are not mental like me and using a GR-55 like wot I does.

They are not too expensive (especially 2nd hand) and sound very good as FRFR and for acoustic tones. See the SOS review above.

My GR-55 goes through them too which is ace and the newer version of them has WiFi or Bluetooth for tweaking with an app.

Check out Sean Halley's blog and vids on getting a great acoustic tone with simple EQ and a light touch, he also recommends upping your string gauge to 11's for better girth and tone acoustic wise.

Don't have the link on my iPad but have it bookmarked if you need it.

Using the FX send is the easiest, cleanest and most hassle free way of sending to the PA or whatever.

Before the various firmware's allowed this I connected the XLR out of the POD HD500 and line 6 link to the DT-25, setup the acoustic patches correctly and when using these patches put the DT on standby for the duration of acoustic songs.

Not sure if you can still do this but in any case the FX send is best. People bitch about having to waste the FX send but FX are mostly at a minimum on Acoustic tones so not an issue, because it can be set per patch it is no hassle once the patches are programmed/setup.

Edit

If you do use an amp I have found Keyboard amps to be better at the FRFR thing, Roland KC or Peavey KB ones are great. If on a budget I got good results from a Behringer K1800FX which was cheap as chips new and a steal 2nd hand.