Shaving Soap

What's Hot

OK girls, so I gather we don't like soap on our pusses......so what do us modern young folk use for shavin' soap, what's hip?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I buy a Palmolive soap from Wilko's for about £2. I've got a cheap Men-U brush which lasts ages.
    All I do is fill the soap pot with hot water then give the brush a good hot rinse. Give the soap a couple of minutes then tip the water out onto the brush and then start working it into a lather. Works a treat.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    ta...RTB
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    No one wet shaves anymore, beards/stubble is"in" which makes life easier.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Crabtree Nomad soap for me.

Beards might be in but they make most men look like arseholes
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Proraso with a cut throat or DE blade, although I've not shaved for a few months.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Crabtree Nomad soap for me.

Beards might be in but they make most men look like arseholes
    If I wet shave of struggle to get served for matches without ID and I'm 35, beards are shit on most people, but a few days growth makes you look older than 12.

I use my graders on 0 every week or so, I'm glad we live in an age where stubble is acceptable.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Palmolive Shave stick 50p from Tesco. 
    Then a Wilkinson sword brush to build a lather. I just run the tap hot then fill the basin a bit. Wet stick, rub on face and repeat till slightly streaky and white. Then wet the brush and wring it out and rub into lather 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • I use whatever is in the shower soap wise, haven't bought shaving soap in about 20 years.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm thinking of trying out some more "traditional" shaving stuff. I'm coming to the end of a bulk bought pack of Gillette Fusion Proglides which are fine but I fancy a change as I'm an every day shaver. 
     Any recommendations on a DE to go for to try?
    Had a look on a site and one handle assembly was about £600!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I've had stubble for 2 decades. Last time I got clean shaven I hated the look of it, it accentuated my unattractive features. I don't look cool with stubble, it's just a disguise.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm thinking of trying out some more "traditional" shaving stuff. I'm coming to the end of a bulk bought pack of Gillette Fusion Proglides which are fine but I fancy a change as I'm an every day shaver. 
    I've used a Merkur 34c for years. It's absolutely fine. I flit between that, a Gillette Fusion and a Braun 790 electric depending on mood and location.

It's nice to have options. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I've used a Merkur 34c for years. It's absolutely fine. I flit between that, a Gillette Fusion and a Braun 790 electric depending on mood and location.

It's nice to have options. 
    Another Merkur 34c and Fusion user here, Fusion for a quick shave in the morning for work and the Merkur for when I want a "proper" shave. Never got on with electrics.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'm thinking of trying out some more "traditional" shaving stuff. I'm coming to the end of a bulk bought pack of Gillette Fusion Proglides which are fine but I fancy a change as I'm an every day shaver. 
    I bought a 10 pack of BIC single bladed razors for £1 from tesco, been looking at DE razors too but I can't see how there would be any improvement. I'll stick to the BIC's until I can afford a decent Straight razor and strop! 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Shaving Gel works fine. Wet shaving is a pleasure, electric razor a chore. Not shaving for me adds twenty years,  not in a good way.
  •  Any recommendations on a DE to go for to try?
    The Wilkinson Sword DE Razor is supposed to be a pretty decent one for the beginner.  You can pick them in chemists for pretty cheap.  I've only used the Wilkinson blades so far which are alright, but I'm planning to buy blades from other brands. 

Some local chemists seem to have better shaving supplies than others.  The place I bought my Wilkinson DE razor from had some nice badger brushes for very cheap, worth checking your local one as well.  I have the cheap Wilkinson brush which is ok. 

Shaving soaps are great, I much prefer them to shaving foams/gels in particular with a DE razor.

An Alum stone is a must IMO.  
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Hertz32 said:
    I'm thinking of trying out some more "traditional" shaving stuff. I'm coming to the end of a bulk bought pack of Gillette Fusion Proglides which are fine but I fancy a change as I'm an every day shaver. 
    I bought a 10 pack of BIC single bladed razors for £1 from tesco, been looking at DE razors too but I can't see how there would be any improvement. I'll stick to the BIC's until I can afford a decent Straight razor and strop! 
    Bics are great, I use them on my bits if I ever shave down below (or recently, a section of my leg out of curiosity.)

I have an old 50s Gillette Rocket DE, I love the weight and how it feels to use, but I hate the way I look clean shaven. And i have a Simpson badger hair brush, must be ten years old now, also love to use it, but the above still applies.
    My V key is broken
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Water is a better beard softener than any commercial product. I use cheap erasmic stick kept wet/soft in a soap dish and brushed onto a warm wet face. When travelling I carry nuage shaving oil. Favourite razor is sensor and has been for years.
  • I've got a nice Edwin Jagger razor, usually with Israeli blades.

They last well and are not quite as lethal as Feathers!
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Another Merkur user here and also a one of my grandads which is over 70 years old. Blades are cheap as anything as is decent shaving cream. Some of the online shaving shops have some great deals on starter kits.
    I also have a cut throat cost me about £80 and that gives an awesome shave too, it's sharp as fook but it's so rewarding shaving with it, and I've never cut myself :)
    #thebatesmotelband