Repairing small tear in foam edge on and old Celestion.......any ideas?

What's Hot
surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
Hi Guys

I have just removed my trusty G12Ms from the cab and found a small tear on the outer 'skirt' which has mysteriously appeared!!!!  It hasn't effected the sound at all but I'd like to repair it.  In the past I've used copydex for small areas of damage, particularly when they're restricted to the skirt.  In each case this has worked fine.  However, I was wondering if there might be a better option?  These are nice old drivers from '72 and have pulsonic cones so worth trying to get it right.  Very open tone with a nice range.  Anyway, I'll load a couple of photos below and any ideas would be warmly appreciated!!   It's a T1220s if that makes any difference?

Cheers

Guy

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5898/edyr.jpg

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5254/k57u.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Personally I would leave it. 

You say you can't "hear it"? You can't see it when cabbed up so why worry? 
    The actual deflection at that point is going to be tiny even if you drove the bllx off the thing and you won't do that anyway!

Dave.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133

ecc83 said:
    Personally I would leave it. 

You say you can't "hear it"? You can't see it when cabbed up so why worry? 
    The actual deflection at that point is going to be tiny even if you drove the bllx off the thing and you won't do that anyway!

Dave.
    Hi Dave

Thanks for that, a pretty sensible piece of advice!!!  I definitely can't hear it but I guess you inevitably wonder if you've just got used to it slowly  over a period of time, particularly when it's used virtually every day. 

I think my other concern was......is it going to get worse if I don't repair it?  But from what you've said it sounds like that's not going to happen given the position of the tear.  I'm using an early 70s PA20 through it so that's not going to whack it near hard enough to do any major damage I would have thought.  I really don't care what it looks like, it's just making sure that it don't get any bigger!!!!  :)

Cheers

Guy
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I would use PVA glue with tissue paper on both sides

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I would just Super Glue the end edges of the tear...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Ianpdq said:
    I would use PVA glue with tissue paper on both sides

Many thanks lanpdq.....if you repair using tissue paper would that be done from the underside?  And would you literally just use a single piece of tissue paper over the whole tear and fixed with PVA?

57Deluxe said:
    I would just Super Glue the end edges of the tear...
    Thanks 57Deluxe....would have never even thought of using that!  I guess it really does glue anything.  Would it be flexible enough when dried though?
    edited January 2014
    ...would have thought so - is minimal flexing anyway. The glue will harden the tear edge and should stop any running. I have been known to employ this method on socks with a hole and loose shirt button shanks! Bleed'n expert, me....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

For this type of repair I use a rubber based glue (Copydex) and either tissue or Rizzla paper.

You are right to be concerned about the tear worsening.
    jpfamps said:
    I would not use either PVA or Super Glue as these are brittle.

For this type of repair I use a rubber based glue (Copydex) and either tissue or Rizzla paper.

Hi jpfamps

Many thanks for that.  I did wonder if it was right to use a glue that might harden given that this area of the 'cone' is where all the flexing takes place.  My expreriences with copydex on very small speaker repairs have been good as it drys to a rubbery consistency.  And it can also be applied more than once if required. 

You mentioned using a rizzla or tissue paper.  Should this be done on the underside of the cone? Will one patch, slightly larger than the torn area and secured with copydex be the right way to go?  Or.....should I build up several layers?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    What jpfamps said. I use PVA for repairs on the main cone area, but rubber solution for the edge surround since it does need to flex.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    surfguy13 said:
    jpfamps said:

Hi jpfamps

Many thanks for that.  I did wonder if it was right to use a glue that might harden given that this area of the 'cone' is where all the flexing takes place.  My expreriences with copydex on very small speaker repairs have been good as it drys to a rubbery consistency.  And it can also be applied more than once if required. 

You mentioned using a rizzla or tissue paper.  Should this be done on the underside of the cone? Will one patch, slightly larger than the torn area and secured with copydex be the right way to go?  Or.....should I build up several layers?
    With a small tear like that I would use a single layer of paper on one side of the cone.

It might not be convenient to apply the paper to the inside due to accessibility.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    You can get flexible PVA adhesive as well

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Ianpdq said:
    Are there any brand names you have experience of and would recommend? I need something to glue up my wellies, and pretty much everything I've tried so far hasn't worked (apologies for the diversion, Guy).
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Impact adhesive (what glue sniffers use) but because it flexes I'd use something more durable than paper ...possibly a small section of synthetic woven fabric like polyester on both sides that is if the damage is through and not just the surface layer . 
    Flown the nest .
    dchwhite said:
    Ianpdq said:
    Are there any brand names you have experience of and would recommend? I need something to glue up my wellies, and pretty much everything I've tried so far hasn't worked (apologies for the diversion, Guy).

The best thing I've found for patching up wellies is a puncture repair patch for a bicycle.....always worked for me.  Just rub the surface of the wellie around the hole with sandpaper, apply the rubber solution, let it go off a bit until it's just tacky and then apply the patch.  It does depend where it is though and if it's in an area around the ankle where the boot flexes a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jpfamps said:
    surfguy13 said:
    jpfamps said:

Hi jpfamps

With a small tear like that I would use a single layer of paper on one side of the cone.

It might not be convenient to apply the paper to the inside due to accessibility.
    Again, really helpful....thanks.  You're right, getting in behind the hole is extremely difficult due to its location behind one of the metal bearers of the basket.  I think the best bet is to just go ahead and put it on the front where it will be a hell of a lot easier to apply.
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    On 2nd thoughts silk would be stronger and perhaps less visible than polyester .
    Go out and buy some black knickers :)
    Flown the nest .
    you all misread - is not a paper tear is a dented/bruised foam edge
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    you all misread - is not a paper tear is a dented/bruised foam edge
    No, that is a paper tear.

The edge area is 'doped', but it's still the paper underneath.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    edited January 2014
    surfguy13 said:

The best thing I've found for patching up wellies is a puncture repair patch for a bicycle.....always worked for me.  Just rub the surface of the wellie around the hole with sandpaper, apply the rubber solution, let it go off a bit until it's just tacky and then apply the patch.  It does depend where it is though and if it's in an area around the ankle where the boot flexes a lot.

What a kind man - not only letting me spam your thread, but also providing me with a new method - thanks Guy :) The best glue I've found so far is called Stormsure; it does seem to last for a few months, but like everything else, gives up eventually (or my application method is poor, which might be closer to the truth...). I shall give your method a try - thank you :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current