going from a 4x12 to a 2x12

gubblegubble Frets: 1746
Due to some personal issues i've lost the use of my estate car and have had to replace it with something small meaning i can no longer use my 4x12 for gigs (it's a Line 6 4x12)

Money's kinda tight so I'm probably going to have to replace it with the Harley Benton of G4M 2x12.

I've never used a 2x12 before and i'm wondering how it will effect the sound of my live rig. I'm using a Line 6 Duoverb head (which i really like) and always love the sound of the 4x12.

Also feel free buy my 4x12 which is in the classified's section. I need it gone fast so i'm thinking £100 isn't a bad deal for someone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not familiar with the G4M model, but I have tried the G212 Vintage with V30s.  It is a really good cab for the money, to get something better you need to spend a considerable amount more.

The 2x12s sounding closest to 4x12s are the ones that are the same width and depth as 4x12s.  If you happen to spot a second hand Mesa Rectifier 2x12, Orange PPC212 (closed back) or a Zilla Fatboy / Zilla Super Fatboy within your budget those would be what I'd recommend.  But if you can't afford those the Harley Benton G212 Vintage is still a good cab and with it being smaller it might be preferable due to your transport situation.

2x12s don't tend to have the same 'width' of sound as a 4x12, but the larger well built closed back ones have almost as much thump.  The biggest problem tends to be hearing the highs.  If you set both cabs on the floor you'll be much more off axis to the 2x12 which will fire more at your ankles (whereas a 4x12, even a straight one, will fire much higher if you stand in front of it).  If this is an issue you could try to find something to put your cab on top of to raise it up more.  People use all sorts - cab flightcase, beer crates, chairs etc.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014

The main issue with a 2x12 compared to a 4x12 is the height. I can't get on with having a 2x12 down on the floor and the sound by my knees. with combos you can get stands/beer crates and all that, but a head/cab set-up is different (I play crappy pubs and we don't mic the guitars through the PA or anything like that)

I have played with a 2x12 stood vertically which helps raise one speaker up, but more often than not I use two seperate 2x12 cabs stacked (sometimes I even plug the bottom one in).

A flight case that doubles as a stand would be a good alternative, but I found that to be expensive and even bulkier for lugging in and out of the car!

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    +1 about standing 2x12 cabs upright. Much better.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I often turn 2x12s on their side, and usually use 2 1x12s, stacked vertically, as my favourite compromise between transportability and sound.
  • You could look for 2x12 cabs that are diagonal. It makes for a cab smaller than a 4x12, but the only ones I can think of are laney. That carvin legacy cab @viz mentioned looks really nice, though, and a vertical 2x12 would probably sound great.

How about the Harley benton and put it on top of a couple of beer crates to get some height?
  • Matamp 2x12s are also diagonal. Look for a bit more internal volume, the smaller closed back Harley Benton Marshall 1922 size cabs will sound a bit thin coming from a 412.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    gubble said:
    I've never used a 2x12 before and i'm wondering how it will effect the sound of my live rig.
    Probably improve it, if you get the HB G212 Vintage with V30s. It will probably also be louder than the Line6 cabinet.

The HB is also a good size and shape to stand upright, as the others have said. (Some like the Marshall 1936 aren't as much.) Fit some feet on the end to stop it getting chewed up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Marshall 1936 is a great 212 not too directional and retains some of the 412 warmth
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    ICBM said:
    gubble said:
    I've never used a 2x12 before and i'm wondering how it will effect the sound of my live rig.
    Probably improve it, if you get the HB G212 Vintage with V30s. It will probably also be louder than the Line6 cabinet.

The HB is also a good size and shape to stand upright, as the others have said. (Some like the Marshall 1936 aren't as much.) Fit some feet on the end to stop it getting chewed up.
    Harley Benton do a vertical cab too.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited September 2017
    I seem to remember reading that vertical cabs actually project the sound more horizontally than a normal one? Something to do with physics stuff that I didn't really understand.

It won't have the same thump but I've always found taking the back off my cab (it's a tube town 2x12 with flex back removable panel) really helps with bring able to hear it. More than capable of filling a room.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I've good experience of the Montage cabs from Lean Business. Pick your own drivers. They can have a decent thump because they are not slimline like some 2x12" cabs. that said I have a JBL 2x12" which is quite small (and heavy) and certainly kicks bottom!

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Holy Necrothread !

3 years on from this I did go a to a HB 2x12 - used it for over a year with a  fantastic jet city head but needed a cleaner amp so ended up with a Fender HRD and very happy with it I am.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    TTBZ said:
    I seem to remember reading that vertical cabs actually project the sound more horizontally than a normal one? Something to do with physics stuff that I didn't really understand.
    Yes, this is true - it's counterintuitive because you would think that having the speakers side by side would improve horizontal dispersion, but it's the opposite.

This is why old-fashioned PA speakers were columns, and why even modern PA arrays are always arranged vertically rather than horizontally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein