Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm no longer in a band

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
edited September 2016 in Live
After one too many people missed practice one too many times (and even worse, being late for two hour sessions when we typically do three hours!) I spat the dummy out tonight and said "f@#£ this - this is a waste of my time." Which I may regret (actually I'm under a lot of stress right now at home and work so it's all been building..). Especially since I just got all that gear! Interesting that our sh!t-hot drummer emailed to say he agrees and that the band has been lacking progress. And one of the singers. And the rhythm guitarist!

Hopefully, onto bigger things.. most likely acoustic sessions in the short-term, in addition to completing this never-ending album (which some folk here have heard - it's real lol). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it's been building then it was probably the right thing to do.
    Hopefully you can move on and find better people to work with :)
  • Took me long enough to find this one. Going to try and salvage an acoustic thing with one or more members. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited September 2016
    thomasross20 said:
    Interesting that our sh!t-hot drummer emailed to say he agrees and that the band has been lacking progress. And one of the singers. And the rhythm guitarist!
    How many people are in the band?  Seems like you have the core of the band sorted to form the next one.  Get the rhythm guitarist to switch to bass and there you go!  

I found being in a band anything more than with 3 band members, organising band practises were an absolute nightmare. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Six..... Too many!

I've already asked the drummer as he's seriously good but will see. 

TBH I've been thinking about a job move if things don't improve soon so life will be busy enough without band worries. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    It's sad that someone with your ability is bandless but I think it's the right move - especially with the other stresses your dealing with.   
    Have a little break and when it feels right join another - plus side is that you're now sorted gear wise and have gig experience, plus you know what to look for if you start replying to adverts.  

In your position I'd be tempted to recruit the people that were good and reliable and see if there is enough to form a slicker outfit. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some people have been off 4 weeks in a row. They were late for 3 hour practices so we switched to 2 hours and still they're late. I'm sure there are more dedicated people out there. In some ways I've had my taste of the band thing now. I'll miss weekly practice - something to look forward to and much better than 10 practices sitting at home.
  • Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments. I do hope I can take the core and see what happens there... 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited September 2016
    Mark Twain one said, "In 20 years you will regret more the things you didn't do than the things you did." I have always regretted leaving bands but down the line a bit I would, each time, realise that I left because we were making no progress and the freedom put the ability and responsibility for my progress into my hands. All the best Thomas for the future and finishing the album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Unfortunately, everybody has different levels of commitment. Some people keep turning up because they are too scared to say they want to leave. Some hang on when the direction has changed in the belief it might change back. There are loads of reasons for loads of things.

I left my first band 25 years ago because the other songwriter liked to come up with every part for every instrument, whereas I came in with chords and vocals, letting everybody a range their own part, but he started to come up with the other parts for everybody. I left others as they were going nowhere.

Take some time out to work out what you want. Or jump straight into something else. It's your call. 
  • After the soap opera you've posted over the past few years/months I have to say that it's about time. Life's too short to suffer other band members who can't be arsed or behave like dickheads/dictators.

If you still want to play with the rest of your band who agree with you, all you need is a bass player. Get yourself onto joinmyband.co.uk or local Facebook groups and advertise. Within two weeks of leaving my last band I was auditioning for my current one and gigging within a month.
  • All you need is a bass player by the sounds of it? Just ask the remnants if they want to carry on without the flakes. You don't need 3 guitar players or 3 singers anyway...
  • You may already heard my band woes on here before. However, since reforming the band with new blood I haven't looked back. Had to kiss a lot of toads in the process though ;) Brush yourself down and start again, you'll regret it otherwise :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/

• Finally! Sack that acoustic plan, you'll only be on here stressing about what D.I. to buy or how much Reverb to use during solos! You've got a killer electric set up and a drummer and at least one singer to set up a new band with. A quick look on Edinburgh's Gumtree and there are 2 bassists looking for bands who don't sound like complete bangers. Get on it!

Here, I'll save you some time - 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/musicians-available/bassist-looking-for-a-band/1184043993

https://www.gumtree.com/p/musicians-available/bassist-seeking-band/1185748186
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Woah nice one! 
    I know one singer will come with me. 
    I've asked the drummer but he seems to be ok for now... I'll get on the case. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Good luck @thomasross20!
  • Life is too short to spend too long trying to fix broken bands. There are really good people out there, wanting to make music. Keep searching.
  • :lol: @Gassage's video :D - and thanks guys ... I'll show them all... when I sell two copies of my album .... :lol:
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    :lol: @Gassage's video :D - and thanks guys ... I'll show them all... when I sell two copies of my album .... :lol:
    Can I get the rare unsigned copy?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom