Orange OR15 - sounds like mush at volume?

bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
Struggling to find a decent demo of this online and can't seem to find anywhere in London what stocks them.. Has anyone got one of these new OR15s? I'm hoping they'll do a better job than tiny terrors.. need a chunky light crunch.. single coils always. I'd go bigger but I need something I can carry around on foot...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My go to answer for quality orange tone on a budget in a portable package - Jim root terror.

It's just so much better at everything. Cleans up better, has nice crunch, nice leads, and just plain works great.

The rocker 30 is awesome, but used only now sadly :(

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    man…stop telling everyone about the Rocker 30  ;)

i'm always in the market for a Rocker 30 head.

I've had the combo…and hands down the best amp i've ever had.
  • Yeah, they're crap, not worth a fiver, break all the time, no decent tones, hence discontinued...

Better? ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    They weigh too much to be easily carried on foot.

That's quite a tough requirement for a valve amp which also must not mush out at high volume - the second part eliminates almost all cathode-biased 15W amps, which is most lunchboxes.

Seriously think about a Mesa Mini Rectifier if you want light, loud and no mush, even if you don't think you need that much gain. The Transatlantic *might* do the job but I'm not sure.

If that sort of size/weight to volume ratio still doesn't cut it, you need to go solid state.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    haha, the rocker 30 sounds good on paper... would the head be too weighty to carry about?
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Did I ever tell you about my rocker 30 head? It's what I like to call bang tidy

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

sell me one in London yeh?
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Col_Decker;127955" said:
    Did I ever tell you about my rocker 30 head? It's what I like to call bang tidy
    They are crap, especially the head. Youd be better off selling it...i can give you cash...think about it...cold hard cash for all you GAS needs!
    trying to track down one! all i can find is a chap in Cheshire (i'm in London), oh the pain i'm feeling without an amp..
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2130
    We've got a Rocker 30.
    It's ok I guess.
    I'm not like, wetting myself about it though. It doesn't set my hair on fire or anything..
    How would you describe it compared to other amps? Do you have an amp you prefer to it? I'm always interested to hear more ha @nerine
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I quite like my TH30 for some decent crunchy tones :)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2130
    @bigfuzz I'd say it was a fairly solid crunch machine. A good thick tone, definitely. But I dunno.. A bit woolly maybe. Has quite a fair bit of gain on tap. I'd imagine it would sound good with a Tubescreamer up the front end to give it a slight bit more Kerrang!! and bite.
    I've never been a huge fan of Oranges to be fair. I find them a bit dull for some reason, probably because I prefer the Marshally, higher mid-focused crunch.
    I'd like to check out the recent OR100H. That looks cool.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I've got a Rocker 30 Combo.  I use it either standalone with an Orange 1x12, depending on the gig.  At the moment, that is no gigs and it's in storage at the studio I use, so if you are interested in it, give me a PM.
    @chrisj1602 sounds interesting Chris. I'm really after a head though, purely for lugging-it-about reasons.. sold the DRRi combo I had before purely because it was far too awkward to get about on the tube. Also I need some more crunch in my life..