Living with a chambered...Lezzie

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Lets not use 'Lester', but the chambered (i.e. fully fledged virtually hollow 2007 semi-acoustic Les Paul) affectionately known - by me - as the 'Lezzie'.

Tis rather resonant, in fact its bloody nice. I like the 'Lezzie' :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    Stop it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I work with some lezzie's. And some man lezzie's. None of em look like Lester's.......

;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    None of them look like Lester's what?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5005
    Lixarto;128026" said:
    None of them look like Lester's what?
    Not 'arf.

Got any pics bog whopper? (iPhone predictive text!)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9594
    Lester's Polfuss?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5005
    thermionic;128055" said:
    Lester's Polfuss?
    Or Polsfuss, even. B-)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davejmdavejm Frets: 3
    Can't say I've played a chambered LP but there ought to be a law against the weight of some of the solid buggers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Sometimes I think it's all just lost on you lot!   ;)

I'd like to try a chambered, don't think I'd buy one tho in these cash strapped times.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Lester's sister.. Lezzie
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    ...when you say chambered lezzie - do you really mean a hollowed-out lesbian? Please don't mince your words I get confused with what we are supposed to be talking about...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ...when you say chambered lezzie - do you really mean a hollowed-out lesbian? Please don't mince your words I get confused with what we are supposed to be talking about...

This was the first incarnation in 2007 before they moved over to modern weight relieved. 2007 was a transitional period between weight relieved > chambered > modern. The 2007 never got the asynchronous neck, locking jack etc. So a best of both worlds, but super light ( 71/2 pound)image

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    57Deluxe said:   ...when you say chambered lezzie - do you really mean a hollowed-out lesbian? Please don't mince your words I get confused with what we are supposed to be talking about...
    And maybe slightly moist ....

Bogwhoppit said:   This was the first incarnation in 2007 before they moved over to modern weight relieved. 2007 was a transitional period between weight relieved > chambered > modern. The 2007 never got the asynchronous neck, locking jack etc. So a best of both worlds, but super light ( 71/2 pound)image
    Excellent info Mr Whoppit, I wondered what the relief methods were, the comparison pictures show that beautifully.
    The chambered version is a semi in all but name, without the ƒ holes.
    You said 2007 was when this method was used as a transition, so when did Gibson start using the modern weight relief (and do you know how that relates to serial numbers) ?
    Cheers,  Chris.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    IIRC the modern weight relief was introduced with the 2012 Les Paul Standard.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited January 2014
    Excellent info Mr Whoppit, I wondered what the relief methods were, the comparison pictures show that beautifully.
    The chambered version is a semi in all but name, without the ƒ holes.
    You said 2007 was when this method was used as a transition, so when did Gibson start using the modern weight relief (and do you know how that relates to serial numbers) ?
    Cheers,  Chris.

As not_the_dj said, the modern weight relief was introduced in 2012, from late 2006 they were chambered (chambering started in earnest during 2007, but some late 2006 models also got the 'test' treatment). Then in late 2007 - mainly from 2008, the new Les Pauls with the weird neck, locking jack and coil taps appeared.  Fast forward to 2012 and we have modern weight relieved.

Just as Tokai Les Pauls could arguably be called different to Gibson, there is no doubt the biggest variation in Les Pauls is within the Gibson brand itself.  So will the real Les Paul stand up ....

Thanks for that, not_the_dj and Bogwhoppit.    :)

Now all I need to do is make head or tail of the plethora of Gibson neck profiles, current and past, then I'll be a happy bunny (well happier anyway)    ;)

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited January 2014
    Now all I need to do is make head or tail of the plethora of Gibson neck profiles, current and past, then I'll be a happy bunny (well happier anyway)    ;)

Thick
    Medium thick
    Slightly thick
    Thin
    Thinish
    Middle thick with thin wedge
    Kind of thin
    Slim thin
    Thick slim
    Middlethick with thin tendancy's
    Can't make there mind up thin -ick
    The machine broke so, thin on Tuesdays, thick on Wednesdays
    Pedro de Pacas (the Gibson mexican labourer on cheap wages) who sands the neck, and was high on smack at the time - whatever thickness you want man.

Snappy thin
    Twiggy thin
    Dawn French super thick
    Leslie West big thick

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited January 2014
    I meant - Lezzie  - empty inside...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I know prople who swear blind their LP is solid when Gibson started weight relief on all Les Pauls in 1983(apart from historics/reissues). I've played some beastly heavy one's, can't imagine what they'd weigh without it.
    edited January 2014
    Hey Mr Whoppit, you don't happen to work part time for Gibson USA do you ?

That list of neck profiles is actually easier to understand than anything I have yet seen from the big G !

Actually you probably only needed two to fairly faithfully describe everything from early fifties through to today...

"The machine broke so, thin on Tuesdays, thick on Wednesdays."

"Pedro de Pacas (the Gibson mexican labourer on cheap wages) who sands the neck, and was high on smack at the time - whatever thickness you want man."

This may be closer to the truth than we may wish to believe.

Nice one, it made me laugh anyway, thanks for a cheery moment in a grey day.  
    :)