George Lowden Explains Guitar Design

What's Hot
Just watched this, and I found it very interesting, so I thought I would share it here.

No affiliation, but I have only heard good things about Lowden.

If you ever wonder about pricing, he says that a good Adirondack top can cost him £200, I would say that explains a part of why a quality handmade instrument carries the sort of prices they do.

Anyway, enjoy the video if you are interested.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    For certain styles of playing (celtic style DADGAD among others) they are the best guitars you can buy. Sustain for ever, beautiful warm sound. They also smell great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    edited January 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7JT2enNi3A

Bloody wonga...however, it features the best animated guitar playing ever! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I was shopping for a Taylor 414ce last year, I picked up a Lowden and strummed a single G chord… I had to put it down immediately as it made the Taylor's sound like toys :-(

Hence I bought a 214ce to knock about on, the difference hopefully going towards a Lowden some day!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    they are fantastic,  but dont forget there are plenty of good UK acoustic "makers" out there many are just as good.  
    Always worth looking around
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • And have you seen how much Lowden's cost these days? I nearly fainted when I saw one in Sheehans in Leicester before Christmas.

Not saying they aren't worth it, they are beautiful things, but my word that's a LOT of money.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • My teacher has one that I lovingly stroke whenever I see him.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4700
    The23rdman;136043" said:
    My teacher has one that I lovingly stroke whenever I see him.
    Does he have a Lowden as well?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He makes me stroke his wanger before letting me stroke his Lowden.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • George Lowden Guitars Story

George Lowden explains his journey as a luthier, from setting out, to his esteemed position today.

Duration 14:39

• an aspect of Lowd's that is mostly missed is their playability. For those who don't have to have the American 'feel' in their fretting hand, they offer a superb alternative.
    NB - the under license guitars got a bit 'chunky' and ungainly in the hand.  '98 till '03 (along with other changes that  were documented on the yahoo user group forum)
    I read - many years ago that GL could carve a neck in 20 minuets from a 'blank' - presumably not  including shaping the heel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom