Strat wiring question

I'm looking to re-wire my strat to have Volume - Neck and Mid, Volume - Bridge and Master Tone, keeping the 5 way switch. 

However, I'd also like a push-pull option on the first volume, to bring in the bridge pickup to join either neck or neck and mid. 

Would I basically just need to follow this - http://www.tdpri.com/threads/strat-wiring-mod-2-volumes-1-tone.299591/

...And then use a push/pull pot instead for the first vol pot, take a wire from the bridge port of the selector switch direct to the push/pull section of the pot? 

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've actually changed my plan, and would like some help. 

I'd like to go for the same 2 volume, 1 tone set up (so Vol 1 - Neck and bridge, Vol 2 - Bridge, Master Tone/just neck and mid tone).

But I'd also like the 5 way switch to be Neck, Neck and bridge, bridge, bridge and mid, mid. 

All the diagrams for the 2 volume set up I've seen have the bridge pickup going straight to the Vol pot, so that naturally causes some problems for changing over the selector switch option. 

Doing either seems easy enough, but what can I do to do both? Is a blend or push-pull still the best option? 

Thanks 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    It doesn't make any difference, it's only the order of the connections on the switch that's changed. You still need to use the first side of the switch to select which of the neck and middle pickups is going to the neck/middle volume, the bridge to its own volume, and the second side of the switch to select which volume, with the tone control either connected to the first side of the switch (neck/middle only) or the second (master).

Switch side 1: terminal 1 - neck pickup; terminal 2 - no connection; terminal 3 - middle pickup; rotor - to neck/middle volume top terminal.

Switch side 2: terminal 1 and terminal 3 - from neck/middle volume middle terminal; terminal 2 - bridge volume middle terminal; rotor - tone control and jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson