Pros and Cons please

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Pro: It's not that expensive. 

Con: You will look a right plum. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @wezv knows how to make them awesome v guitars, though...
  • Pro: It's not that expensive. 

Thinking of having it at work, so the plums are safe.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited January 2014
    I've always wanted one of those when I saw Mark Knopfler playing "Money for Nothing" on it followed almost immediately by seeing EVH playing "Summer Nights". They're cheap but a set of 11s are really expensive unless you get the mod for the nut which lets you use normal strings. I've resisted so far but it's been a close run thing...

They were actually cheaper at Thomann but I've just looked and can't find the cheap version now, only the more expensive models.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited January 2014
    I've owned a bunch of Steiny's- now I play a Forshage.

The Spirits are pretty shit guitars IMHO.
    Rubbish pickups and they are wood, not graphite epoxy.

If you really want a proper Steiny then get an old GL or a GR.
    The modern Gibson-owned instruments and licensed versions (Spirit/Hohner) aren't remotely close to the real instrument.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Even Gilmour jumped on the steinbeger bandwagon back then.
    (Worst sound I've heard from him too)

• octatonic said:

I know they're meant to be pretty bad. That's why I've avoided wasting my money. I still want one though...it was my formative age, just like I play Teles because of Quo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

I know they're meant to be pretty bad. That's why I've avoided wasting my money. I still want one though...it was my formative age, just like I play Teles because of Quo.
    You can find a proper GR steiny for £600-700 on ebay if you are patient.
    Rock maple body but a proper epoxy neck and a decent R trem.
    Much better than the Spirits.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

You can find a proper GR steiny for £600-700 on ebay if you are patient.
    Rock maple body but a proper epoxy neck and a decent R trem.
    Much better than the Spirits.
    That might be out of my price range for a practice tool to have in the office.  Ill keep a watch on ebay for a while and see what might turn up.  

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I've seen a few Synapses on Gumtree for around £350 or so. That's a decent guitar. (I have a GR-4)
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Pro: It's not that expensive. 

Yeah, like Allan Holdsworth does when he plays his. Facepalm post if there ever was one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, you are not alone @thumpingrug

I have a guilty penchant for these too. I remember looking in awe at them back in the 80's.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    gilby said:
    Even Gilmour jumped on the steinbeger bandwagon back then.
    (Worst sound I've heard from him too)

Too be fair to him I think he was trying to emulate the synth track on the studio version of this song. But 'Echoes' it ain't. 

He made fair use of one though. I remember reading that the guitar sound on one track from Momentary Lapse of Reason was a Steinberger through the Boss Heavy Metal into a Fender combo, and the whole thing sent through the PA at some sports arena in LA.   After they'd done all that I couldn't tell you a thing about the guitar's basic tone. 

I did think about one of these once, but I've always been put off by the need to get different strings for it. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    I'd have to disagree with the 'Spirits are s**t' vibe that's generally permeating this thread.

Whilst they're not an overly accurate copy of the real Steinbergers, and how could they be given the fundamental differences in construction ?

If you view them as their own thing, and ideally buy used at a good price I think that the Steinberger Spirits and the Hohner headless guitars are pretty good.

I've owned a fair few of these over the years and the build quality has always seemed pretty good if let down by shabby pickups & pots
  • DrBob said:
    I'd have to disagree with the 'Spirits are s**t' vibe that's generally permeating this thread.

Whilst they're not an overly accurate copy of the real Steinbergers, and how could they be given the fundamental differences in construction ?

If you view them as their own thing, and ideally buy used at a good price I think that the Steinberger Spirits and the Hohner headless guitars are pretty good.

I've owned a fair few of these over the years and the build quality has always seemed pretty good if let down by shabby pickups & pots
    I though £300 new wasn't a bad price and as it will sit at work, played through the PC speakers or a THR if I can find one at the right price overall sounds are less of an issue than size and portability.  A bass player I gigged with many years ago had a Steinberger bass and thats when i started my interest.  Not many shops stock them and of the UK dealers GAK is the one I would have the least qualms about dealing with.   

edited January 2014
    DrBob said:

Except people virtually never buy them because they are their own thing. 
    They buy them because they want a Steiny but can't afford or justify a real one. 

Granted there are exceptions but as a rule they fail to meet most people's expectations. 
    I do take your point- they are an acceptable guitar for 3ton provided you swap the eletronics.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    One in the classifieds for £200 with upgrades I believe.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Best. Travel. Guitar.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DrBob said:
    I'm with @DrBob on this. I had one of the doublecut Spirits (which, coincidentally, was originally his about 2 or 3 steps back in the ownership chain, and he bought back off me), and it was a brilliant guitar. Phenomenal neck - I've never had reliable action so low all the way up the fretboard - and generally a solid guitar. The pickups weren't up to much (EMG Selects), but if I had a mind to get another non-Jaden guitar then these would definitely be on the list.
    <space for hire>
  • I know they're meant to be pretty bad. That's why I've avoided wasting my money. I still want one though...it was my formative age, just like I play Teles because of Quo.
    Now there is a sentence that makes me all kinds of sad
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.