Steinberger GAS urge

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I know they're meant to be pretty bad. That's why I've avoided wasting my money. I still want one though...it was my formative age, just like I play Teles because of Quo.
    Now there is a sentence that makes me all kinds of sad
    And why is that. Teles or Quo? Many people start playing the same guitar they saw when they caught the guitar bug. I like Teles because they're simple and robust machines that are incredible versatile. Quo aren't anywhere near the band they were in the 1970s but then they were a fine fine band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I bought a 'cricket bat' Spirit on eBay about 8 or 9 years ago for £160 just to use for everyday practice and as a travel guitar. It was one of my best ever guitar buys. I used it sat in front of the pc into a Guitarport and learnt dozens of songs on it for several bands.

I even used it to record some rough demo's on the pc and on the couple of occasions I took it to band practice, everyone commented on how good it sounded(!). They're not a real Steinie but they're decent guitars for what they are. Definitely not sh*te!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788

the synapse ones are being sold off cheap, they are higher spec by far:

I have 2 of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_synapse_transcale_st2fpa_am.htm

I've had some minor defects with it, but for £470 or so, EMG pickups, active EQ, piezo, 28.6 inch baritone (dropped D or A to A), and a movable capo, I think it's much better value

I would agree though, that it's not full-on USA build quality, so for a standard one, a used original would be better. However, a transcale can always fall back to baritone duty, etc.

The capo is amazing up around the 8th or 10th fret, with the bass rolled off and extra piezo 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

the synapse ones are being sold off cheap, they are higher spec by far:

I have 2 of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_synapse_transcale_st2fpa_am.htm

I've had some minor defects with it, but for £470 or so, EMG pickups, active EQ, piezo, 28.6 inch baritone (dropped D or A to A), and a movable capo, I think it's much better value

I would agree though, that it's not full-on USA build quality, so for a standard one, a used original would be better. However, a transcale can always fall back to baritone duty, etc.

The capo is amazing up around the 8th or 10th fret, with the bass rolled off and extra piezo 

My issue isn't that they aren't as good as USA built Steinbergers, but rather what Gibson have done to the brand under their ownership.

Gibson use cheaper parts, softer metals and kludge together instruments that aren't a patch on the old ones but continue to use the name they bought.
    They are within their rights to do it but many headless guitar fans dropped them as a brand worth even considering years ago.

Go and find a trans term equipped, 1980's Steinberger that has been well maintained and well set up (a challenge in itself, I admit).
    They are a totally different instrument.
    To those in the know it is a complete joke that the modern instruments are called Steinbergers.

The thing is that it didn't have to be this way.
    They could have brought the brand forward, made technical innovations that made sense, not the crap on a plate that is the brand today.

All IMHO of course.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Skarloey said:
    gilby said:
    Even Gilmour jumped on the steinbeger bandwagon back then.
    (Worst sound I've heard from him too)

Too be fair to him I think he was trying to emulate the synth track on the studio version of this song. But 'Echoes' it ain't. 

He made fair use of one though. I remember reading that the guitar sound on one track from Momentary Lapse of Reason was a Steinberger through the Boss Heavy Metal into a Fender combo, and the whole thing sent through the PA at some sports arena in LA.   After they'd done all that I couldn't tell you a thing about the guitar's basic tone. 

I did think about one of these once, but I've always been put off by the need to get different strings for it. 

Aye, it was "Sorrow", and it was the Olympics arena from 1984.

*Mike goes off to find a life*

BTW BigJon from this very Parrish has a Steiny of some description, and makes it sound good. Looks a bit strange a 6'6 (I think) fella with a minute guitar........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I think thats definitely out of my price bracket.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    FWIW, I didn't buy the paddle-shaped one because I was afraid I'd struggle with the lack of room for my forearm to rest. I got a GR-4 that was pretty banged but had H-S-H all EMGs up for £450. If you want the traditional guitar shape, then there's also the Spirit with that body. It's still very portable, it will fit in this bag - http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_rb20500b_steinberger.htm - so overall it will take as much space as a paddle steinie
  • gilby said:
    One in the classifieds for £200 with upgrades I believe.
    cheers for the heads up,  we're talking.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Pro: It's not that expensive. 

Con: You will look a right plum. 
    Thinking of having it at work, so the plums are safe.

I actually really like Steinbergers, but you have to be three kinds of cool before you can pull one off on stage. 
    In a moment of madness I nearly bought a double neck guitar and bass one once. 
    Would make a totally awesome travel guitar. A mate of mine had a Hohner Jack that seemed pretty cool.