Ooh - original CS-336 with that headstock on eBay

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7405
Fuck - timing (and unemployment) sucks - I've wanted one of these original CS-336 for so long. They were the first of the hybrid/smaller semis that Gibson did - originally a Custom Shop only model before it went ES-336 and 339 etc. 

Someone buy it to bring it in to the forum GAS circle please!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-336-early-original-with-OHS-case-/172307666962?hash=item281e565812:g:Cm0AAOSwgZ1XsjOj

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nasty looking things, those!

This one is actually called the ES-336, and the standard-headstock ones are CS-336. Not sure why. I bet it's a great guitar though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7405
    Nasty looking things, those!

This one is actually called the ES-336, and the standard-headstock ones are CS-336. Not sure why. I bet it's a great guitar though.
    Noooooo. 

The first of them were called CS-336 and had these headstocks. They weren't like that for long. They then faffed about a bit, stopped it being a Custom Shop build (hence then ES-), then they faffed about a bit more, muddied the waters with the 339s etc etc. I know because when these ones came out I was obsessed with them. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    edited September 2016
    TimmyO said:

Noooooo. 

The first of them were called CS-336 and had these headstocks. They weren't like that for long. They then faffed about a bit, stopped it being a Custom Shop build (hence then ES-), then they faffed about a bit more, muddied the waters with the 339s etc etc. I know because when these ones came out I was obsessed with them. 
    Nope! p

Mine is the regular-headstock one and definitely a CS-336. Both models have always been Custom Shops. 

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Archtop/Gibson-Custom/CS-336.aspx

https://reverb.com/item/58619-gibson-es-336-custom-shop-rare
  • 15-all...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    TimmyO said:

Noooooo. 

Nope! p

Mine is the regular-headstock one and definitely a CS-336. Both models have always been Custom Shops. 

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Archtop/Gibson-Custom/CS-336.aspx

https://reverb.com/item/58619-gibson-es-336-custom-shop-rare
    That being the case *now* doesn't make me wrong :-) The product line now is different. When they *first* came out, it had the small headstocks was all mahogany, and was called CS-336 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Wow, that small headstock is fugly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It was definitely originally the ES336 with the straight pull headstock. The single remnant of this model was a Paul Jackson junior signature model. The CS 336 and CS 356 were both introduced later with the standard Gibson headstock etc. All of these models were Nashville custom shop. The later ES339 and ES359 are the  standard production laminate construction models. I remember playing a couple of those early ES336's and later ended up with a CS356, which I still have. It's a really nice guitar to work with. Hope you get your hands on the right one for you at some point soon.

• Hideous looking guitar!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Whaddya mean about the headstock....what's different about the early ES 336....do you have a pic?

when did the headstock change to regular?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I have a 336 and 339.  Both getting more play than any of my other guitars just now.  I keep checking out the Coda ones, but I can't justify that kind of money to have essentially the same guitar with a different finish and P90s - can I?  No, obviously not. No, no, no.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    hootsmon said:
    Whaddya mean about the headstock....what's different about the early ES 336....do you have a pic?

when did the headstock change to regular?
    Narrow headstock version. Note the massive ear and cutaways as well - essentially they didn't shrink them from a regular ES-335. 

Then some bright spark realised that was fugly and a small-but-335-shaped body would be much better., and the CS-336 was born

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Pleased that they altered them !!!.....
    It was the original one I fell in love with 
    Red ones are better.