58 LP DC Junior, Whats it worth?

What's Hot
OK I potentially have the option of buying a 58 LP DC Junior. It has been messed with routed out neck break and then a pro repair and re-fin in TV Yellow by about the best finish and ageing guy in the UK. Basically a 58 that I won't have to worry about gigging as it has already sustained as many injuries as it possibly can, not looking at investment value but:

How much would you pay for a guitar of this origin but with this history?

I am looking to gig this not sell it on or keep under the bed, I just don't want to pay over the odds for it! to my knowledge original case and pickup the rest after market but quality. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Note, original 58 not VOS or custom shop.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    Seems almost silly asking but I'm assuming you have played this guitar and like/love it ?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    £2K ish 

If it was mint £3-4K

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I have seen it in the flesh whilst being re-fined, But yet to play, will be today. I have it on good authority that its a beast! Also NOT original pickup or tuners, basically the body neck and fingerboard are original. I would be looking at converting it into a twin P90 special.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Is the reason the neck fell off before because it was already routed out for a neck pickup? ;)

If you're going to put another one in, make sure you put it in the later, further away from the neck position…

I wouldn't pay too much for it just because it's a "58" but it sounds like it might be a cool guitar - if the wood is old it does at least have a head start probably. It's still got to be worth more than a modern Historic reissue though, "just because". So probably £1500-£2000.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ha. No neck break was at the headstock usual place, thanks guys going to take a look today. Will let you know how it pans out.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    edited January 2014
    stonevibe said:
    £2K ish 

If it was mint £3-4K
    I think a genuinely 'mint' Junior (as new, unused, kept under the bed for 55 years) would be a bit more than that!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I'd go up to 2K if it's a CB refinish, less if it's anyone else.
    edited January 2014
    stonevibe said:
    £2K ish 

If it was mint £3-4K
    I think a genuinely 'mint' Junior (as new, unused, kept under the bed for 55 years) would be a bit more than that!
    I've seen mint ones go for more. But its still a buyers market and I've seen a lot go for more around the 3-4K range recently.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I'd personally be looking to pay £1500 tops considering it's history and that the pickup isn't original either, the original P90 was a big part of the classic sound. Anymore and it's starting to become an expensive piece of wood.

That said, if it was a Clive Brown refinish then that would add a bit of cred/value but not much.

Any pics?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    This might seem obvious but is often forgotten.
    The changes mean that it is no longer a guitar that is of any interest to collectors. The Collectable chunk of the guitar's value is now Zero.
    It's value is now determined by how it is perceived as player (unless of course you are insane). So it will only be worth £2k if it feels like £2k in your hands.
    The good news is - there is a very good chance that it will.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:
    This might seem obvious but is often forgotten.
    The changes mean that it is no longer a guitar that is of any interest to collectors. The Collectable chunk of the guitar's value is now Zero.
    It's value is now determined by how it is perceived as player (unless of course you are insane). So it will only be worth £2k if it feels like £2k in your hands.
    The good news is - there is a very good chance that it will.
    This would be my view.  No doubt a new pickup could be made to exacting specifications by a boutique man, but it doesn't have the original, and the damage means it's now a players guitar.  Nice to keep it in business if it's a good guitar, though.
  • I didn't notice that the pickup wasn't original. Original 50's p90's dont go for huge money and are well worth it in my opinion. That said I wouldn't go higher than 2k all in with an original pickup. Without pickup £1750 max. As others have said this is all provided you like the guitar!
  • Update: It my be the original pickup but at some point has been repotted in resin so no way of identifying unless the pickup is destroyed in the process, Unfortunately it has sustained another neck injury which will need repair which is why its for sale. Not a CB re-fin but the guy who did is very well respected check out Eternal Guitars. If I go for it I will post some pics in the current state, I have it with me to get quote on repair but not fair to post pics until its mine :)
  • Bought it :)

• imageimage
  • Now prepare your selfs.......You might want to sit down.

• imageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xJonnysixstringxJonnysixstring Frets: 326
    edited January 2014
    Let the restoration begin! Looking at the original pics of the re-fin when it was down to bare wood it seems to have been twin P90s and the control and pup cavities filled. I plan to take it back to its original glory :)
    Ouch!