Westone Thunder I Bass

olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
edited September 2016 in Bass
Hi, I am looking into starting to play the Bass and one of these has come up on a Facebook group and I really like the look of it.

I had a few questions:
How good are these? 
How much are they worth? 
Are they easy to refinish (This one has finish marks due to a sticker that was removed)? 

This is a natural finish 1982 model, if there is any differences. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    A good working bass if you can get it for a good price and there are no serious issues.

- Well made, although a little 'clunkier' than some of the other Matsumoku-made instruments somehow. (eg Aria and Ibanez.) Solid-sounding.

- Not worth a lot. If it's the passive one I would doubt more than about £100 to £150 tops, if it's the active 1A probably around £50 more.

- Should be fairly easy to refinish since it isn't thick or especially hard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    I bought one a while back for about £100. You can have it for that plus delivery if you want...
  • merlin said:
    I bought one a while back for about £100. You can have it for that plus delivery if you want...

How much would postage be, and do you have any pictures? The on either found is local to me and so might be more ideal. 
  • The Westone instruments were very desirable at the time and are still considered a good buy
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    merlin said:
    How much would postage be, and do you have any pictures? The on either found is local to me and so might be more ideal. 
    Probably around £20. I'll take some pics soon, maybe tomorrow. It's in great shape. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I think Westone are great.  Done up a few for owners who love them. As @ICBM says, they are generally no frills, workmanlike.  Some models are a bit heavy but I like them a lot.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    this takes me back. When I was in a band in the mid to late 80s, this is what we had: a Thunder 1A, I thought it was great, and it did all that 80s slap bass style stuff just fine. Good for the money,.

If you can find one, consider a SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. Rare, made in Japan, very good, and often had for a bargain.

I got one following recommendation in here, and I dropped on with a real cracker.