Suddenly noisy FX loop - Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
edited September 2016 in Amps
All was well until today. 

With pedals or even just a patch cable between send and return, there's a noticeable hum (not terribly loud, but noticeable at home) that wasn't there before. It doesn't get any louder/noisier when master, gain, reverb or EQ are changed.

With nothing in the loop, there's no hum at all.  Everything else is fine on the amp.

Any thoughts ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    edited September 2016
    I think the early ones had an issue..something to do with shielding I think, but you're not alone 

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/efx-loop-hum-in-new-bassbreaker.390604/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Ah. Thanks for the link.

Bit weird that mine has only just started being noisy though. I've been using the loop for a while with no issues.
    edited September 2016
    Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to go 'old school Neil Young'... Alternatively, as @Adam_MD suggests, still in warranty period so will pop back to dealer and see how I get on. 
  • Chuffola said:
    Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to go 'old school Neil Young'... Alternatively, as @Adam_MD suggests, still in warranty period so will pop back to dealer and see how I get on. 
    I had a noisy loop, returned it to Fender UK and got it back about a week later with the replacement shielded jack fitted, but it's still pretty noisy, after I'd initially thought it was ok.  Was only really running a looper through it at first but have added a reverb now and it's not liking it.  I don't know if the jack was the sole issue but I think I'll probably just avoid using the loop.  Not a massive issue for me, but disappointing that it's like this. Mine's the 15 combo, by the way.
    I never got round to taking it back and had decided to just live with it. So I'm loopless. It's a bit annoying, I agree, that something as simple as this happens - and seems to be widespread. If the amp hadn't got a loop I'd still have bought it so if there's an issue (even cost based) either up the parts spec or ditch the loop. 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    If the amp has had a new socket fitted it should not be noisy - apart from any environmental noise or noise from pedals etc. 

We can take another look if it's still not right, or just replace it through your retailer. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Mine's had the socket replaced and has come back worse than before! I can't use the high structure setting with the master above 8 o'clock it's so noisy, and the medium structure creates a racket as well. If I take the Jack out of the send socket of the fx and touch the tip to the plastic on the socket the amp is perfectly quiet, which is how I'd love it to be. It's going back on Monday but I don't hold out too much hope...
    Mine's had the socket replaced and has come back worse than before! I can't use the high structure setting with the master above 8 o'clock it's so noisy, and the medium structure creates a racket as well. If I take the Jack out of the send socket of the fx and touch the tip to the plastic on the socket the amp is perfectly quiet, which is how I'd love it to be. It's going back on Monday but I don't hold out too much hope...
    That sounds like another issue on top unfortunately. We should be able to resolve it. Either with a repair or new amp. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Hope so Matt because this amp is fantastic for home use especially.  Easily the best I've ever had.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Hey Mick did you do anything else about this? How did you get on?  I tried my FX loop again today and it's so noisy it's not practical to use it.  It's had the socket replaced and I don't really know if I want the hassle of trying to return it to Fender again, they only took a week last time (after the few months wait for parts, that is) but I bought it mail order and so a replacement through the shop is also a hassle.  I'll probably just live without the loop I suppose, but it's a shame.  Put my Boss looper in there today and the hum, high pitched whine, fluttering noises and hiss are all insanely loud, even if I dial everything to literally zero on the amp and looper volumes. The backing tracks/rhythm sounds of the RC3 are completely impossible to use, they go from OFF to unbearably loud with a fraction of a turn on the knob, you can't get them to a bearable level at all.  Maybe this particular looper (I used to use a Ditto until buying the Boss) just isn't suited to an FX loop. When I also move the cables the hum is still noticeably louder if cables pass by one side of the amp (next to power supply), like it was before they fitted the new socket, but the general level of noise is way too much regardless of this.  Played through the front of the amp the looper is fine.  Use it after two OD pedals and no issues, maybe a looper is best not used in the FX loop of an amp? I no longer have my reverb pedal and use the amps built in reverb, but wanted to get a delay, but I'm reluctant to do this if it's got to go in this loop, it's so noisy.  
    The 'fix' doesn't seem to have made much difference at all to my amp, sadly.
    Sounds to me like there is something else wrong. PM me the serial number and I'll get it sorted out. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Thanks are due here to Matt at Fender for taking very swift and positive action via PM to sort this issue out for me.  I love the amp and think I just suffered an unfortunate one with some issues on the loop.
    I just bought a new American Pro HSS strat and it seems my loyalty to Fender is well placed, judging by how well they've dealt with this.  Nowadays people are very quick to complain about poor service, I'm sometimes guilty of this myself, so I'm pleased to be able to chip in with something more positive for a change! 
  • KaputmeKaputme Frets: 0
    edited March 2017
    Hi Matt,

I have some issues with my FX loops as well. Just bought the amp on Friday. I tried a few things, any suggestions is appreciated.

So when i connect my FX in the loop ( Chorus, Delay, Reverb, ditto, Riff recorder) i get this noticeable hum. When i connect only the Reverb using battery, no Hum, but just some hiss. when i patch the send and return using a patch cable there is no hum, and also my Send jack has the black Jack ( :-D) .

Also my Looper is Very loud even if the Master is zero when connected to the Loop.. Does the loop not get regulated by the master volume?

Any suggestions
    I'd check your pedal power supply first. Are all the pedals isolated? Do you have a volume level on the lopper to balance it? 

contactemea@fender.com 

so the update, i tested the amps FX loop over and over again. When i have even only one pedal being run by battery, the hiss is too loud at room level. There is also a small constant buzz when the amp is off standby and no cables plugged in.

My other amp is silent in this case. Do you think i should return it to the store and get another one??
    Do you notice the noise when you're playing the guitar? There is always going to be some background noise but if it's louder than the guitar signal, or getting in the way of your playing, you should take it back to where you bought it for inspection. 

contactemea@fender.com 

I did,  I got a head...  I think the transformer hum is being mirrored on the speaker.. It's just my opinion .  But  the head sounds much better  than the combo..
    But the Hiss in the Fx loop and the inability to control the volume of the FX loop is really a deal breaker. is there a fix for this Matt? I tried
    The volume in the loop will depend on how much gain you're running, what the pedals are and the guitar. 

The loop shouldn't be humming so that it's getting in the way of the guitar. There will always be some background noise, but it should be just that, in the background. 

If it's not behaving I'd recommend returning it and we can repair or replace it as necessary. 

contactemea@fender.com 

Hi Matt,
    I got a combo to start with and the store i bought it didn't have any combo left when i went to get it exchanged. So they gave me a head. But i have the same problem. I have the black send Jack on mine, so it has already gotten the Hum fix, which others had in the old loop.  This is my third BB15 amp, and i tried one from another store with the same problems (so 4 in total now)

I don't have any hum/buzz, the problem is just this loud white noise, which might be due to my cheap power supply, which i will change this week as i have already ordered a Voodoo Labs PP2+

Another problem is the FX loop being after the Master volume and therefore having no control over the effects volume, like the riff recorder from TC electronics (has no Volume control), which works well on my other amps in the FX loop, but in the BB15 its too loud ( all 15 watts turned up loud) and the Master volume on the amp has no effect on this.

Do you recommend a service center in Germany where i can get this fixed? Cos the store would just replace mine and give me another one or my money back.

Cheers
    Su