Any Amp techs near Warwickshire? (dead Egnater Tweaker 40)

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Can anyone recommend an amp tech for me?

My a Egnater Tweaker 40 died at a gig last night (used my back-up Orange Micro Terror which performed brilliantly) 

Anyway the Egnater was fine in sound check, I was then just checking my delay settings when it shut down. Won't power up at all. 

I admit I don't really know anything about valve amps hence I always have a back-up as opposed to trying to sort anything on the corner of a pub with 10mins before we start. 

Anyway (again) it's over two years old, original valves and I've gigged and rehearsed with it regularly over that time, so it's probabally a good idea to get a decent tech to give it a once over. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Checked the fuses? They should be easily externally accessible and if one had blown you'll see the broken filament in it - even I can do it :-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I will when I get the chance later today, but wouldn't that indicate something else is an issue?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1627
    I will when I get the chance later today, but wouldn't that indicate something else is an issue?

Could do but could just be a valve flash over. Change the fuse once, if it blows, tech time.

Googling shows Warwick castle to Northampton in under an hour so say just over that to bang onto Phoenix soundworks in Earls Barton. Good man.

Dave.

It is a blown fuse. The one where the power cord plugs in. I'm replacing that now.
    Blew the replacement fuse straight away as soon as I switched it on :-(

@ecc83 I'll actually be driving to Corby from Banbury tomorrow, so that might work. Anyone in particular I should ask for?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1627
    Thanks I'll see if I can call past there tomorrow.

Anyone got any hunches on what the issue could be? Are you out there @ICBM ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    Aha… this Batsignal thing works :).

Blowing the fuse immediately at power-up is almost certainly something not valve-related - most likely a shorted rectifier diode. Hopefully it will be something relatively minor (depending on how hard it is to get at) like this and not a blown mains transformer, which will also do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A straight forwards check to see if the main power transistor is not knackered..is to unplug the leads going to the pcb but take a photo of were the cables go back...now that the wires are not touching thing stick a fresh fuse back in and power it...if all is good and no pop or flash that means your transformer is ok..but if your unable to do more checks such as volts etc then leave it and pop it to the tech..

I've carried out many repairs to such amps from valve to solid states amps and even built many..

happy trails..
    Thanks. I dropped it into the place that @ecc83 recommended today. I'm really not confident doing anything more than changing the fuse!
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    edited February 2014
    Hopefully you can fix this they are great amps
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
    edited January 2014
    has anyone got a link as to where you can buy a power transformer for the tweaker 40? as mine too has died

@velvetsky01 that's not good. Apartently they're a custom spec from Egnater themselves, so not a straight forward off the shelf from somewhere else replacement.

My amp is currently in bits at the tech, and they're trying to get hold of Egnater to see what the cost/availability and leadtime is for a replacement!

• velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    edited February 2014
    Ok
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/