Choosing a nylon string acoustic

What's Hot
I'm currently playing in a TexMex band and I figured a nylon acoustic might work well for some songs, esp. if I do duo/trio stuff with the singer/accordian player.

I had a look in Banks (York) on Saturday and saw a Yamaha NCX700:

It sounded pretty nice to my ears both acoustically and electrically. But, no fret markers! Any others I should consider? Do Yamaha do one with fret markers? @rossyamaha ?

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a Yamaha NCX900R. It's a great guitar which sounds good plugged in as well, although I'm not exactly a classical guitarist.

There are dots on the top side of the neck at the 5th and 7th frets. I find that's enough of a guide, given that the neck joins the body at the 12th fret.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    OK, I'll checkout the NCX900. As far as I could see, the NCX700 didn't even have dots.

I'm not planning on playing classical - more, spanish/mexican influenced, mariachi-style. :)

R.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Can I suggest you have a look at Crafter, too?  

I got chatting with the "house" guitarist on a cruise ship last year (yes really!), and he was using a Crafter electro-nylon with cutaway for the latin-jazz part of the gig.  It sounded lovely, and I found it very playable.  Sorry, can't remember the model name...

I think Sheehan's are distributors here for Crafter.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    If you are used to steel strings or electrics then proper classical necks are much wider.  There are some hybrid type things with sensible nut widths.  From memory, that Yamaha may be one of those.
    I've played both, and I prefer larger electric necks, so I'm not too worried about a wide classical neck.

R.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    I LOVE my Alvarez rc20sc. Thin neck, sharp cutaway. 100 quid second hand. Proper wood. They come up every now and then. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Will keep an eye out - thanks.
  • I have an ntx 700 and that has markers
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I've got one of those Chinese 14 fret to the body yamahas and they are rather good
  • Don't you prefer a spanish guitar?. Alhambra, Raimundo or Prudencio Saez makes a good guitard with lows price.