could anyone transcribe this short guitar widdle for me?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
it's a couple of seconds long and starts as 48 seconds. I'm pretty new to attempting to transcribe stuff and it's a bit too fast for me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2016

Hard to hear on the phone but sounds like he's just two-hand-tapping up the d minor scale on the B string, trilling and tapping as fast as possible, each time playing two notes with the left hand and the upper note with the right hand, shifting up the degrees of the scale one by one. So in frets, that's

3 and 4 in the left hand, 6 in the right; then

4 and 6 in the left hand, 8 in the right; then

6 and 8 in the left hand, 9 in the right, etc.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2016
    viz said:

Hard to hear on the phone but sounds like he's just two-hand-tapping up the d minor scale on the B string, trilling and tapping as fast as possible, each time playing two notes with the left hand and the upper note with the right hand, shifting up the degrees of the scale one by one. So in frets, that's

3 and 4 in the left hand, 6 in the right; then

4 and 6 in the left hand, 8 in the right; then

6 and 8 in the left hand, 9 in the right, etc.

I think @viz is on the right track. It's a hammer-on pull-off thing using the D minor scale (Aeolian mode), but I think there might be some typos in the fret numberings. For example, I think the first one might be 3 and 6 in the left, then 8 in the right.

This might take some time to work out.
    It's not a competition.
    edited October 2016
    Yep you're probably right, I had neither guitar, nor speakers nor brain with me at the time! Basically you can use the technique to shuffle up the fretboard in D Aeolian as per Strat and you'll get the general effect. Use lots of verb and a tiny bit of delay. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Thanks for the input people. It's probably not actually tapping though, Nick Barrett is quite 'old school'.

Maybe I should just leave this one until I'm better at transcribing - It's a track I really like and I'd like to play along to it loud when Mrs A is out.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sounds like 2 up 1 down to me, but I can take a look when I land back in Blighty.
  • viz said:
    Yep you're probably right, I had neither guitar, nor speakers nor brain with me at the time! Basically you can use the technique to shuffle up the fretboard in D Aeolian as per Strat and you'll get the general effect. Use lots of verb and a tiny bit of delay. 
    Just curious but do you have perfect pitch? Whilst I might recognise the pattern and the scale type, I wouldn't know what key it's in without a reference pitch.
    It's not a competition.
    edited October 2016
    I do yep. Re 2-handed tapping, ok so if he's not doing that he's just widdling up the scale on the B string really. 
    edited October 2016
    axisus said:
    Thanks for the input people. It's probably not actually tapping though, Nick Barrett is quite 'old school'.

Maybe I should just leave this one until I'm better at transcribing - It's a track I really like and I'd like to play along to it loud when Mrs A is out.
    Below is a clip of what I thought it might be when I first had a go, which doesn't involve tapping. But I need to listen to it with fresh ears because I don't think it's correct now. Still anything for a laugh.

https://app.box.com/s/feopnn2oyr191rbhx8thjm85wvi8xiyj

There comes a point when listening to things like this when I start to hear my own interpretation and I lose objectivity, so I have to go away and come back to it.

Edit: I've just has another listen with fresh ears. It definitely needs a bit more thought. Having done a bit more research it's played around the 12 fret area and he spans quite a few frets with his left hand, which is probably why it sounds a bit like tapping.

It's not a competition.
    That's the stuff basically!
    edited October 2016
    Here's another clip (see the link below).

It's still a bit rubbish and not as smooth as I'd like, but I think it's getting closer to what he played.

I'll explain what I played if you think my attempt is close enough. Then maybe others can chip in and we can get there as a joint effort. I think there might be a few extra notes in the legato phrases that I'm missing. I just want to check because it will probably take more time to explain it than it took to work it out.

It's the hardest thing I've ever had to work out, because it's difficult to hear exactly what's going one. He's a fantastic guitarist.

It's not a competition.

It's still a bit rubbish and not as smooth as I'd like, but I think it's getting closer to what he played.

I'll explain what I played if you think my attempt is close enough. Then maybe others can chip in and we can get there as a joint effort. I think there might be a few extra notes in the legato phrases that I'm missing. I just want to check because it will probably take more time to explain it than it took to work it out.

It's the hardest thing I've ever had to work out, because it's difficult to hear exactly what's going one. He's a fantastic guitarist.

Awesome! Any chance you could write out what you are paying there.

He's one of my very favourite guitarists, plays a lot of melodic stuff. Not everyone's cup of tea, prog rock has always been unfashionable, and Pendragon are possibly the most unfashionable band of the genre.
  • axisus said:

Awesome! Any chance you could write out what you are paying there.

He's one of my very favourite guitarists, plays a lot of melodic stuff. Not everyone's cup of tea, prog rock has always been unfashionable, and Pendragon are possibly the most unfashionable band of the genre.
    OK. I sure it's not exactly what he played but hopefully it creates a very similar effect. I did a bit of research and watched some live clips and I think he might not play exactly the same thing every time.

I've not listened to this genre much but you've whetted my appetite to listen to more.
    It's not a competition.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    stratman3142 said:
    OK. I sure it's not exactly what he played but hopefully it creates a very similar effect. I did a bit of research and watched some live clips and I think he might not play exactly the same thing every time.

I've not listened to this genre much but you've whetted my appetite to listen to more.
    ! Sounded a very similar effect and at that speed no one's gonaa notice if it's not 100%.
    I was curious to hear the notes so stuck it into Transcribe and made a slow version -- still no idea how to play it though!

edited October 2016
    Grunfeld said:
    stratman3142 said:

! Sounded a very similar effect and at that speed no one's gonaa notice if it's not 100%.
    I was curious to hear the notes so stuck it into Transcribe and made a slow version -- still no idea how to play it though!

I used Transcribe! at first. Then I used Reaper to play along with the original at slowed down speed to refine it.

Eventually I recorded my take alongside the original in Reaper at full speed and it (sort of) matches but there are definitely some differences I can't quite nail. Maybe someone else can have a look and spot how to improve it.

Below is my transcription created in Guitar Pro 6. I can supply the Guitar Pro file if anyone wants to have a fiddle with it to improve things.  Take the precise timings and time signature with a pinch of salt in the following transcription.

http://i.imgur.com/EwbYf6d.png
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I used Transcribe! at first. Then I used Reaper to play along with the original at slowed down speed to refine it....

Below is my transcription created in Guitar Pro 6.

Firstly, as soon as I see something printed out like that to me it looks great! 
    But question:
    Can Reaper isolate the guitar clearer than the (somewhat basic) tools in Transcribe! ?
    I tried to hear the guitar by (a) slowing it down; (b) HP filter over 160Hz; (c) one channel only mono
    And that's what you hear on the mp3 I posted.
    Can Reaper improve on that?
    edited October 2016
    Grunfeld said:
    I used Transcribe! at first. Then I used Reaper to play along with the original at slowed down speed to refine it....

Below is my transcription created in Guitar Pro 6.

Firstly, as soon as I see something printed out like that to me it looks great! 
    But question:
    Can Reaper isolate the guitar clearer than the (somewhat basic) tools in Transcribe! ?
    I tried to hear the guitar by (a) slowing it down; (b) HP filter over 160Hz; (c) one channel only mono
    And that's what you hear on the mp3 I posted.
    Can Reaper improve on that?
    There may be a way in Reaper but I don't know how, apart from using ReaEQ. I suppose I could do it all in Reaper, but I usually start with Transcribe! because I've used it for years.

Reaper gives the advantage of being able to play along and record it, so I can compare what I've played with the original.
    It's not a competition.
    Reaper gives the advantage of being able to play along and record it, so I can compare what I've played with the original.
    Got ya!  Yes, makes sense.
    @stratman3142 ;Fantastic! many thanks indeed, I'll give it a go.