Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live segues / mash-ups

What's Hot
In our last band rehearsal, we decided for a laugh to try dropping in a verse from another song, in between songs in our set list.

Some of them predictably ended in a massive car crash; some were good in a hilarious way (Hash Pipe, Weezer -> Everybody Wants To Rule The World,Tears for Fears) and some actually worked quite well (She Bangs The Drum, Stone Roses -> bassline from Stratus, Billy Cobham).

Do you have any favourite segues / song mash-ups for playing live?
Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
JM build | Pedalboard plans
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    This, from Psych.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • We did a mashup of Sad But True and Superstition a few times. It went really well the first couple of times, but once people have seen it a couple of times the joke loses its shine.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I was once in a band which used to play Johnny B Goode, with a middle section consisting of In The Mood with an up-a-minor-third key change after each four bars, going back into JBG in the original key but sounding like it had had a huge lift.

And another one which played Kraftwerk's The Model with a middle eight of the Doctor Who theme...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118

We start our encore by playing back in black - with the words for we will rock you.

Works really well

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    We used to have the first verse of All My Life by Foo Fighters in the break down of Ever Fall in Love by The Buzzcocks .. that was pretty good
  • We did do a whole practice where our singer sang "Angels" over all of our originals. Which was kinda entertaining in the odd time signature songs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Going from the dying last chord from Smells like Teen Spirit to the start of Livin' on a Prayer is very effective
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

• Not sure if this is a good thing to admit to or not...crafted on a sleepless night and sent out to the band in rough Mp3 form, and this is what came of it! Dep bassist didn't stand a chance...
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

And another one which played Kraftwerk's The Model with a middle eight of the Doctor Who theme.

This is quality!!!!!

Slightly more predictably and far less cool - we do Message to you rudi with Tide is high in the middle

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    We start off with Hey There Delilah which turns into Teenage Kicks.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88

Used to use the intro to Gimme All Your Lovin' to the Power Station's version of Get It On - confused the crap out of punters :)

And in my last band we segued Enter Sandman into Ace of Spades

• CDM83CDM83 Frets: 33
    try to incorporate these a lot into our sets. Favorites are billie jean into steely dan do it again. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Fewer rehearsed "spontaneous" links - a very good thing !!!!!!

We go straight from an acapella last repeat of the Sha-La-La (etc) of Brown Eyed Girl into acapella doo-wop intro to Jackie Wilson Said - it feels great ! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I have done Bang Bang You shot Me Down mixed with Riders on the storm quite a few times.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Oh and the Strokes Last Nite mixed with Blondie's Heart of Glass
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Ace Of Spades shoehorned into Desire by U2.
    Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm shoehorned into Summertime.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit shoehorned into Stone Cold Sober by Paloma Faith.
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Star shoehorned into I'm in the Mood For Love.
  • In my old band, we did Get Lucky into Good Times by Chic, ending with Rappers Delight. Yes. I rapped. Innit. Booooom!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Get lucky is good one to merge with - I used to mix with love me again by John Newman 

We used to put enter sandman into don't stop believing - main riff after between ch and vs
    Living on a prayer into give love a bad name  (out of solo into bad name)    and prayer into  Living in paradise by dlr
    AC/DC -   mash up loads but I regularly merge  highway to hell with shook me all night long into rosie
    Play that funky music and Superstition - just flick between them
    Billy Idol - white wedding and rebel yell can be merged fine

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I really tried to get my last band to do this but they weren't having it. Closest I got was getting the Joe 90 theme tune into my guitar solo on "Midnight Hour" - how's that for random!

The best one I've heard was a live recording of Foreigner doing "Juke Box Hero" into "Whole Lotta Love" - gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    In my old band we did Guns of Navarone and I did the bonanza theme tune riff as my solo which pleased me no end. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.