Stage Banter

What's Hot
Now then,

What sort of stage banter do you or your band have on stage with the audience? What do you fill the bits in between songs with? 

Give me ideas please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Generally, when supporting acts. I make light of the fact they aren't here to see us but have to put up with us for x many more songs!  Thank them for arriving early to watch

I have previously singled out audience members looking particularly miserable in a light hearted way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I was watching some The Police live the other day and Sting did the classic ' I would like to introduce the band. Andy this is Stewart, Stewart this is...'

Unless you are very good at it ( like Jasper Carrot who morphed from being a musician with banter to being a comedian with music) keep it short and avoid gaps between songs.

I also like ( probably paraphrasing here) the Phoebe Buffet one 'if anybody would like to find out about my forthcoming gigs on the internet please give me the money to buy a computer.' 

I think you have to make that decision between being a rock star or acknowledging you are in a shit pub in Grimsby. There is a fine line in between I guess but I'm okay with some rock star banter 'come on let's rocknroll ' although others find it cringeworthy. Although, in my band, the singist not me doing it. We end up with lots of 'this is for Sue on her birthday ' or 'Terry behind the bar asked for this one, great taste.' 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I definitely prefer the "I'm playing in the dog and duck and I know it" approach!
  • "Don't throw any more bricks I've finished my extension"
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In an old band the singer came out with "We're from Southampton, sorry about Craig David.".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited October 2016
    You've always got to be professional, IMHO. You're entertaining, regardless whether you're in the Dog & Duck or on a 15-night run at the RAH.

What "banter" you use depends on what sort of event it is. A quiet night playing some acoustic stuff in the local boozer while folk eat their scampi and chips demands a different approach to a slot at a festival, for example.

In general, I would say keep it short unless you've got a particular talent and can keep people's attention.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• In general, I would say keep it short unless you've got a particular talent and can help people's attention.

R.
    Great point!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    The guy from the Lostprophets used to have some quality banter (when he wasnt trying to touch kids etc): 

"Ok guys, for this next song, I want you stand around with your arms folded looking disinterested. Thats it! just like that!" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    It also depends on what kind of audience you have. You could be playing to your mates, people who came to see another or really don't want you there.

Slackers first gig was a charity gig for a mate of a mate where the original act had dropped out. I took the booking and took about 30 people with me. I then found out the the first act was an Capella choir and the people who bought tickets were not told of the change.

Anyone else done a post rock gig to pensioners?

Back on point I kept the banter short, very short, thanked the people who came to see me, apologised to those who didn't and got the set done asap.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    edited October 2016

"we've had a request, but sorry the microphone doesn't fit"

"try and sing along to this one - it's an instrumental"

• I think there are two things that set bands apart, that make a difference between a very good band that comes across so-so and a very good band that comes across very well and they may seem contradictory but...:

Banging out tunes one after the other with minimal gaps

Engaging with the audience between songs.

of course, the trick is knowing how to pace it so that you knock out song after song when necessary and allow yourselves a breather for a bit of chit chat at the right time.

If "witty" isn't your thing, be NICE. Get people to give the bar staff a round of applause (a good way to get into the venue's good books ;) ...you may even get a free drink out of it  :)  ), thank people for coming...just ...be nice. Slagging off a crowd, albeit in good natured banter, just doesn't work for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • If all else fails, fib.

We sometimes go out under the namd Hard To Handle, so I like to introduce the song of the same name as a song we wrote for Otis Redding back in 1968.

Even given that I probably look every one of my 43 years and more besides, I'd like to hope everyone knows I am just making it up....

• sorry to say we are fairly stereotypical..
    1)  Take the piss out of the drummers general resemblance to a yeti/gorilla/homeless person etc
    2)  Take the piss out of the bass player -... for being the bass player and just generally a bit of a knob
    3)  Take the piss out of the singer - for being 50 years old and always finding a reason to remove his shirt...
    4)  all other miked up band members take the piss out of the guitarist for being too loud/too big a poseur etc
    5)   Take the piss out of any audience members who you know and who can take it..

No 5 really needs to be absolutely the last resort and treated with extreme care.  Can result in violence..
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Has anybody heard of 'XYZ'? No? Well this is one of our own songs called......

Have I done my DeJa Vu joke yet?

Make some weather related quip and say it's just as well because I can't stand the rain (Que I can't stand the rain) etc.

Just because the band hear the same cheesy joke every weekend doen't mean it won't work for this weeks venue/crowd.

Have I done my Deja Vu joke yet.

Good polished gags and quips can be used to communicate with the band too, if you say X then Y is about to be played. If you say Z then it's the que for the three number crescendo that ends the night etc.

• Not sure how it happened, but Saturday night the banter ended up being an acapella version of the Wurzels' classic Blackbird.

Still not sure how it happened though.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I was deping on acoustic for a local female singer in a rowdy pub, she's attractive and the local 'lads' kept shouting out and interrupting so she said "Right lads, if any of you have a request, best thing to do, is write it down on a piece of paper....and then STICK IT UP YOUR ASS..."

...The rest of the gig passed off with nary a whisper from the audience...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask then you might be better off not doing it.
    Nothing worse than poorly delivered stage banter.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27578
    octatonic said:

We now all know that Octatonic has never trodden on a 13 amp plug barefoot.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    miserneil said:
    and then STICK IT UP YOUR ASS..."

Sorry but cruelty to Donkey's is unacceptable. Even in the name of art ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

We now all know that Octatonic has never trodden on a 13 amp plug barefoot.
    The true pain threshold is standing on Lego in bare feet, those with kids will shudder in unison ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom