Stage Banter

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Or, for psychological pain, standing in cold dog vomit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    "When a song finishes, you're supposed to clap!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    "Here's another one you won't know."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    "Here's one for all the beautiful ladies in the audience tonight...I'll do one for the ugly ones later."
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24258
    If I'm on first then I like to thank the later Warm Down bands.
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    edited October 2016
    Im of the school keep it short and move on to the next song quickly - Your band need to help you with that however and not be constantly tuning in between songs and adjusting pedals etc.  my band are very good at this i will add. 

a bit of chat is fine but to be honest the audience dont really want you to be talking to them they want you to play and actually can get annoyed with constant "banter". also if as a band you are slick between numbers you are seen to be a more pro outfit anyway 
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    edited October 2016
    I keep things to a minimum. We're there to play music and if I'm filling in gaps with banter then our live routine needs tightening up. When it's unavoidable it's usually something like "Any ACDC fans in tonight? We'll this one's by Elton John!" or taking the piss out of the fact the other guitarist seems to forget how his pedalboard works on a gig.
  • I think taking the piss out of other band members or being self denigrating in a nonchalant way is pretty amateurish to be honest.  I pulled our bass player up pretty severely at the beginning of the band after he said on mic a few times that he "wasnt even a bassplayer". His main instrument is guitar. From my point of view if his performance was bad enough that he felt he needed to apologise for it then he should have practiced more (although in this case it was more a confidence thing).

Hate the post-90s-grunge thing where people think its cool to make out they dont care if they are any good or not. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    I'd like to introduce you to the band but that would take far too long, so I'll introduce the band to you instead.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Jetfire said:
    The guy from the Lostprophets used to have some quality banter (when he wasnt trying to touch kids etc): 

"Ok guys, for this next song, I want you stand around with your arms folded looking disinterested. Thats it! just like that!" 

I saw them at Deconstruction in London once.... I've never seen so much airborne piss heading in one direction at the same time. they still played a full set.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    HAL9000 said:
    I'd like to introduce you to the band but that would take far too long, so I'll introduce the band to you instead.
    Been there, done that. We played a new pub that didn't advertise or put our posters up, and the weather was lousy too. Started with an audience of three, so we did mutual introductions. It livened up for the second set though.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Justin Beiber ridicule tends to go down well, I find.

Found my doppelganger in the audience once, that was fun(though it may be easier as I have a bald head a big beard), got him on stage and played with the guitar round both of us like that scene in ghost only less romantic and more sweaty.

involve the whole audience but give the Folks towards the front more attention, seems to make you more approachable and you don't have that 10ft gap between you and the front row!

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Last year I was playing in a packed pub of really into it people, and then I come out with 'this songs called blah blah and if you don't like it you can go f!ck yourself' ... not my finest moment 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    mrleon83 said:
    Last year I was playing in a packed pub of really into it people, and then I come out with 'this songs called blah blah and if you don't like it you can go f!ck yourself' ... not my finest moment 
    But this did stop the singer going on about what the songs about ... for one night 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    sweepy said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

Nothing worse than poorly delivered stage banter.
    We now all know that Octatonic has never trodden on a 13 amp plug barefoot.
    The true pain threshold is standing on Lego in bare feet, those with kids will shudder in unison ;)
    A three-pin plug made out of Lego is the absolute pinnacle.
    sweepy said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

The true pain threshold is standing on Lego in bare feet, those with kids will shudder in unison ;)
    A three-pin plug made out of Lego is the absolute pinnacle of pain
    sweepy said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

A three-pin plug made out of Lego is the absolute pinnacle.
    sweepy said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

A three-pin plug made out of Lego is the absolute pinnacle of pain
  • Reviving this thread......someone must have something I can use instead of my usual half-dozen worn out one liners.......

My favourite at the mo: "In the spirit of post-Brexit unity I'm pleased to say that we have a Bulgarian member of our road crew, and we have a Czech one too".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not so much talking but funny dance moves and going into the audience to rock out, climb on stuff, etc.