Cab to go with a Peavey Classic 30 Combo?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
Any ideas? It's a new area for me. (cabs).
Looking for something to give a little more low end.
Had a crazy idea to hook up a bass cab?
Would a regular Marshall 2 x 12 cab do the trick?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Peavey 4x10" or 1x15" guitar cab. Not that easy to find, but not very expensive if you do.

A Marshall 2x12" won't be ideal since they're 8-ohm and you really need a 16-ohm cab if you want to run both the internal speaker and the extension cab at the same time…although you'll get away with it, if you're not thrashing the amp.

A bass cab would be OK but make sure it doesn't have a tweeter - or if it does, make sure it can be turned off. You're also unlikely to find a 16-ohm one. 8 ohms is OK but avoid 4 ohms, that will put too much stress on the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for that. Ok, so I should be looking for a 16 ohm cab then. It's as simple as that?

But, would this Marshall cab be ok? (I'm in Ire, hence then .ie link)

Stereo 2x 16ohm @ 75watts each / Mono 8ohm @ 150 watts
    That's an 8-ohm cab. It's only 16 ohms per channel in stereo, which you wouldn't be using.

You can actually use an 8-ohm cab, it's just not ideal. It will stress the valves a bit if you're cranking the amp right up - although not much if you're not. 2/3 of the power will go to the cab and only 1/3 to the amp's own speaker, but that's also probably not a bad thing if you're looking for more low-end.

If that is a genuine plywood 1922 it's quite rare actually - most are made from MDF and don't sound as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Thanks for the reply. Ah I see, I'd be running a cab in mono, which when I think about it/visualise it, makes absolute sense.
    I should look for a mono 16 ohm cab then?
    edited January 2014
    Yes, but if you find a good 8-ohm one going cheap (that 1922 isn't really, although I don't know what prices are like in general in Ireland) it would do. 16 is definitely best if you have the choice.

• Ok, I'll have a look around online in the UK and Ire, and see what pops up. So, "mono" is important to look at here as well then?
    Ok, I'll have a look around online in the UK and Ire, and see what pops up. So, "mono" is important to look at here as well then?
    Yes, although almost all cabs do have a mono input even if they also have stereo ones. Most 16-ohm cabs are plain mono. It's fine to have one which does 16-ohm mono and 2x8-ohm stereo, although these are rarer.

• Ok, I'll have a look. Any brands you recommend? I don't need to go high end for what I'll be using it for.
    Pretty much anything as long as it's closed back and has a decent power rating - which is usually (although not always) a sign of a fairly solid tone as well. You only need 15W or more in theory (half the power of the amp) but contrary to popular belief there is no reason a *much* higher-rated cab won't work fine… you don't need to 'push' speakers.

• can't seem to find much around, even on thomann and the likes...
  • There is a Classic 410 cab in Electro Music in Doncaster. Not sure how much though.
    Maybe buy one empty and fit your own speakers? (16 ohm speaker for a 1x12", two 8-ohm speakers for a 2x12".) Not difficult, most modern cabs use push-connectors for the speakers so you don't need to solder… just a big screwdriver.

• ICBM said:
    Maybe buy one empty and fit your own speakers? (16 ohm speaker for a 1x12", two 8-ohm speakers for a 2x12".) Not difficult, most modern cabs use push-connectors for the speakers so you don't need to solder… just a big screwdriver.
    This thread needs a montage

MONTAAAAAGE

a 1x15 would add something pretty big to the sound... The Delta Blues is a 1x15 classic 30 with tremolo, and it sounds absolutely wonderful.  Otherwise, montage also do empty 1x12 or 2x12 or 2x10 cabs.  All will really add to your sound, and you can add whatever speakers you want to get the impedance you need. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hmmm, what to get.... :(
    edited January 2014
    There is a Classic 410 cab in Electro Music in Doncaster. Not sure how much though.
    I saw that, but ideally wouldn't mind something a little smaller. I'm thinking a 2 x 12 would offer some nice low end, or would a 1 x 12 be enough to help me out as well? I've heard good things about 2 x 12s with Peavey Classic 30s...

The Montage idea could be something to consider too, but would work out a lot more expensive than just buying a cab?

Or maybe not:

So you'd be looking at €202/£168 for a basic 1 x 12 montage cab with a celestion speaker....

Saying that, a 2 x 12 wouldn't necessarily be "small" either so if I could combine a 1 x 12 with the combo, which is 1 x 12, maybe that's good enough to give some more low end?

Basically, I haven't a clue if a 1 x 12, a 2 x 10, or a 2 x 12, would suit me....

The reason I would consider a 2 x 12, or 2 x 10 is simply down to the fact that it would appear "bigger" to me, therefore a bigger cab might offer a "bigger" or "lower" sound?
    When you're adding it to the combo, the type of speaker, the size and to some extent the weight of the cab probably makes more difference than whether it's a 1x12" or a 2x12" - you're comparing two speakers to three, not one to two. A slightly oversized solidly built 1x12" (which you need to properly sit under the combo) with a beefy speaker will probably sound as good as a 2x12".

I wouldn't choose that V-Type speaker for a heavy bottom end in a 1x12" though, regardless of what they say about it - it looks a little lightweight, and although you can't always tell for sure, that's not a good sign. The Celestion models with really good bottom-end are all heavier-magnet models (H-type or 50oz) and with 100dB sensitivity - this makes a *very* big difference even though it doesn't sound like it's much more than 98dB.

• 1x15!

Sorry,im not helping at all. But they're so rare, I wish I saw them more often...
  • Ah, ok, thanks for the replies. This is all new to me in terms of matching up cabs etc.

I think maybe a 1x12 would be enough. I'm happy enough with the combo, but it would be nice to add some lower end to the overall sound if possible, hence the cab

I'll have a look again on the lean business site for some of the suggested speakers...
  • I don't know a huge amount about speakers, but I've heard some of the eminence ones have some nice bottom end to them, such as the swamp thang (though that's a very powerful speaker, so it might not work so great with the classic 30).

Otherwise, same as ICBM, I've heard the bigger magnet celestions (h ones) are quite nice for some of the chunk.
    edited January 2014
    The problem with that lean business site is there's no sort button for the results :(