NGD: At long last...

ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
Normally when I have some guitar fund cash I'm out the door buying a new one before the old one has hit its new home. But I've been pondering several options over recent days and finally bought the sort of guitar I'd never usually look at. I'm 46 and have always had "the classics" - Strats, Teles, LPs, 335s - clones, at least.

Time for a change of direction.

Introducing the new ESP LTD PB-401 I've been threatening to buy. Got a great deal on it and, so far, I'm very pleased - although its very early days.  The SD P-Rails were the clincher giving me P90 and HB sounds, as well as fairly weedy single coil tones from the rails if I want (although with a Strat and a Tele, I'm well covered there).

Its not the sort of shape I'd usually go for, but I actually think its quite nice. The white isn't my normal colour choice but, again, it's a kind of creamy white with discrete sparkles and some lovely slightly-blingy binding. Fretboard is very smooth and tightly grained, frets are nicely polished and not what I'm used to at all - extra large and taking a bit of getting used to!

The P90s are nicely grunty and the HB is fairly hot for those EVH moments. Only played it through the THR 10C so far but, all in all, very nice. Does the country thang, the bluesy jazz and the rawk. What more could a middle aged man want?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/9511018304_de332e832a_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3675/9508225033_4ff2bbe7e0_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3769/9508224103_c1193abfff_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3709/9511019018_7c940e41e2_z.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Nice gas, Chuffola, the P-Rails are indeed very versatile. :)
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    i played one in a shop a couple of years ago and was very impressed.  hope you enjoy it, conhgratulations!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice. I kept thinking about these when a Goldtop version was in the classifieds back on MR, but never quite managed to raise the funds. On paper it looks super versatile (so idea for the covers bands I play in). Happy NGD
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    NIce GASsage sir

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I Like that a lot.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    nice :D
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    A Gumtree special but not a mark on it - literally like new and a great deal for me.

@not_the_dj ; -  yes, the goldtop would have been my choice but you take what you can get when going used, I suppose.

Still have funds in the GAS jar too - best get those spent before school uniforms are required, or the car needs a new throsset-wibbler.

;)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Nice Gas Chuff. Not the colour I'd have picked either but its certainly not a deal breaker. I missed that one on Gumtree. I'm still trying to resist the cheap epi les Paul standard as its a really nice lemon drop colour. I don't need it but I think I NEED that colour!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I saw that one too - lovely looking and probably a deal to be done.

The LTD isn't as white as it looks in those pics. Its actually growing on me. But, hard to beat a goldtop and that would have been nicer. However, I still plan to break into your house next time you're on holiday and pilfer your PRS...

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Liking the P90 vibe, congrats.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Chuffola said:
    I saw that one too - lovely looking and probably a deal to be done.

The LTD isn't as white as it looks in those pics. Its actually growing on me. But, hard to beat a goldtop and that would have been nicer. However, I still plan to break into your house next time you're on holiday and pilfer your PRS...

You should wait until after the new pickups arrive.  I've just ordered a lovely set from the very helpful Ash, he was very patient with my dithering and silly questions.  They'll be going in as soon as they arrive with a new 3 way switch and push/push tone for the coil tap.  :D
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    That's a beauty. Now I want one.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    So jealous, iv wanted one for ages and missed on here, wooops i meant the owd place last year.
    Lovely stuff, enjoy.