Baritone recommendations?

What's Hot
Hi all. I'm looking into adding a good baritone to my acoustic armoury. Seems like they have a real depth and resonance that might be lacking from the usual 6 string acoustic. The one that grabbed my interest was the Yairi YB1, which I recently saw on ebay. I didn't bid on it as it wasn't possible to play it before buying, which is too much of a risk for me. Anyone use a baritone, or used one in the past? Any thoughts on best value/sound in this area?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I had a Yairi  YB1, I was not very impressed - It was a bit dead sounding, I think the top was too thick

I have 2 excellent acoustic baritones:
    Avalon  L1-320C
    Alan Arnold Beltane (I am not sure if he still makes guitars)

What is your budget?
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I was hoping under a thousand really, although maybe it's worth holding out a bit to get something of a higher quality.
  • The north american guitar have got an Avian baritone reduced
    Looks interesting, although I've never heard of the brand before. Have you played them?
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited October 2016
    domforr said:
    Looks interesting, although I've never heard of the brand before. Have you played them?
    No, but they have been well received by the cork sniffing bunch on the acoustic guitar forum and the video demos I've heard sound good.

Even reduced it's still a lot for a Chinese made guitar though even if it is master luthier designed and hand crafted with high QC, saying that it does have a pickup and case.

There isn't much out there under £500. The stanford big bang one sounds OK, there's a few videos out there and Thomann carry them.

Also if you look around there are some Taylor baritones under £1k 2nd hand which would have a case as well.
    Furch seem to have some around the thousand mark, although again, it's not a brand I've tried before.
  • domforr said:
    Furch seem to have some around the thousand mark, although again, it's not a brand I've tried before.
    They seem to get good reviews, If you're OK with cedar tops this furch seems good value.
    He's actually got a few interesting baritones there (http://rguitars.co.uk/products/auden-edgar-baritone-cedar-fullbody), so might be worth a visit.

• domforr said:
    He's actually got a few interesting baritones there (http://rguitars.co.uk/products/auden-edgar-baritone-cedar-fullbody), so might be worth a visit.

Indeed, he does seem to stock a higher than normal quantity of baritones.

A baritone acoustic is something I'm considering but I need to pull my finger out and sell something first to free up the funds and more importantly make some space.
    Tell me about it! I find it's far easier to buy than sell for some reason :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    domforr said:

I saw one of those in Manchester:
    https://www.forsyths.co.uk/guitars/128018-auden-edgar-.html

what note range do you want to play?

I found the Arnold 29 inch can do B-B
    28 inch and below I would recommend D-D

Larrivee did a very good  baritone based on the SD60 body btw
    the BT-03
    they go for less than £1k used in the US
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Robert Merrill.

Widely regarded as the greatest Baritone in history.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

tricky to get hold of though (without a shovel). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I do like the idea of dropping below D, as I already have a 12 string that's DADGAD and an acoustic that's tuned half a tone down. 
    the Yairi scale is 27.5 inch for example, which sounded poor with a baritone set  run B-B

I have the Avalon  (28 inch) tuned D-D, it sounds amazing
    the Alan Arnold can do  B-B, but be aware that the low B is quiet, as with all unamplified acoustics - since the normal guitar body cavity is too small  to reinforce lower notes well,  on real contrabass guitars (E-E) the bottom E is almost inaudible

I'd recommend a longer neck for B-B, and consider C-C as well, there seems to be a sweet spot for gauges and pitch for any guitar 
    The Avalon does look amazing. I agree about the sweet spot. I've only just found it on my 1966 Gibson J50, which needed a heavier 12 gauge set of strings to really sound good.
  • I have an Alvarez ABT-60e that I'm thinking of selling for around the £300 mark inc hard case.
    Hi, I'll look into it and get back to you.
    So, back on this subject. I have an old rather unused Cort jumbo acoustic. Is it possible to use this as a Baritone by simply adding on a baritone set of strings, low tuning and having it set up properly. It would be nice to get some use out of the guitar, but maybe it would just be a 'virtual' baritone mimicking the real thing? Neck length seems to be important and I'm not sure off hand what mine is, so I'll need to check this.