Any recommendations at the cheap end of the acoustic market

What's Hot
I've got a friend who has £250 to spend on an acoustic guitar.  Anyone have any recommendations at this price point?  Not a dreadnought.

many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    look for second hand stuff that costs £500 new, with a solid top
    I will be looking for the same thing for the same reason soon
  • You are probably looking at a Yamaha if that is your budget
  • Lag are GREAT but budget for a setup as most of the ones you see in shops have actions you could walk under.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Go for a Sigma,  they are truly wonderful guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A used Yamaha LS6 would do the job and is in that price range.
  • Sigma are well worth a look at.If not Yamaha.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Brilliant thanks guys.  There's even a bit of consensus here.
  • Second hand could get you something special, but what's available is obviously variable. I landed a Faith Naked Mercury for (just) under £300. It's a parlour acoustic made from solid woods & sounds brilliant. 

Failing that, another vote for sigma.
    Lovely things. 
    Don't overlook Vintage brand stuff, the Giltrap mahogany model is £259 Inc fitted hard case. The V300 (& it's mahogany sibling the v300mh) are ridiculously good for about £150. 
  • If you're anywhere near me (Malvern) pop in and check out my Fairclough - I've been through loads and this is something special. That's assuming second hand is an option!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I bought an Epiphone for our church for around £200 that's surprisingly good.
    You can get solid tops for well under £500.  This one is £209:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14012217103958

• cdbigmancdbigman Frets: 0
    edited October 2016
    Ive recently got an Epiphone ej200 sce as a back up. Its a great sounding jumbo for the money
  • crunchman said:
    I bought an Epiphone for our church for around £200 that's surprisingly good.
    You can get solid tops for well under £500.  This one is £209:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14012217103958

Yup, all the Vintage models I mentioned have solid wood tops & laminate sides. Things have come a long way from my first acoustic. 
    The fact that Faith are making entirely solid models for under £400 is amazing. 
    Here's a photo of my Mercury. They tend to look a bit anaemic when new, but mine is gradually darkening- it's a rather attractive honey colour now. 

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20161011_215732929_zpsmbghs1un.jpg
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I'd recommend Freshman. I got an FA400D for 200 quid, theyre a bit more than that now though. Well built, nice action and lovely tone.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If I was in the market for another acoustic I'd certainly go for a Faith Mercury.
    Tried one recently and was very impressed.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I have a Faith venus I bought second hand for under £250, fantastic guitar. I have a little Tanglewood TW133 for downstairs noodling and it has become one of my favourite guitars. Solid Mahogany top and back, parlour size, slotted headstock. I think they have gone up to about £350 now, they were £250 or less so you might get a bargain. The Tanglewood all solid dreads I really liked too when I went on a day of comparison when tin pan alley still existed!!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I have a LAG T200J that is a truly wonderful guitar, punches far above its weight
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Recording king are giant killers,as are faith.
  • Definitely Sigma
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Find another 50 quid and have a look at this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/87027/fs-sigma-000r-28v-acoustic-guitar#latest

Looks a beaut to me (no connection to seller).
  • Exorcist said:
    I have a Faith venus I bought second hand for under £250, fantastic guitar. I have a little Tanglewood TW133 for downstairs noodling and it has become one of my favourite guitars. Solid Mahogany top and back, parlour size, slotted headstock. I think they have gone up to about £350 now, they were £250 or less so you might get a bargain. The Tanglewood all solid dreads I really liked too when I went on a day of comparison when tin pan alley still existed!!
    FWIW, I've got a Tanglewood TW133ASM that I bought a couple of years ago for £150 new (supposedly a second or ex-demo but I have no idea why, it was immaculate).  I've never had an expensive acoustic so my opinion may not be worth much but I reckon it's amazingly good for the price (even at the £250 normal going rate at the time).