Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best courier for shipping a guitar within the UK?

What's Hot
MistyMisty Frets: 135
Actually it's my Taylor 314ce, currently listed on The Fretboard; it would be in its case and boxed up securely. Up until now I've stipulated collection only, but I think I need to look into offering shipping within the UK mainland to attract more prospective buyers. Has anyone here had good (or bad) experiences to help point me in the direction of a recommended courier?

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014

UPS via Interparcel is the usual recomendation....plus really good packaging!

http://www.interparcel.com/

Check the price online with the size and weight, but beware that the bit where you add the insurance cover is later in the booking process.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434

UPS via Interparcel is the usual recomendation....plus really good packaging!

http://www.interparcel.com/

Check the price online with the size and weight, but beware that the bit where you add the insurance cover is later in the booking process.

+1

They've always delivered for me - their standard service is generally next-day.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Thanks to both. I just tried the link, and UPS isn't offered, only Interparcel (UK Standard) or TNT. If I choose Interparcel, are they a carrier in themselves, or just an agent for another company who presumably I find out about once I've paid?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Interparcel are an agent/reseller.

Go thorugh this link:

http://www.interparcel.com/couriers/ups.php

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    InterParcel standard next day is UPS
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've posted one electric guitar and a mandolin on separate occasions, both via Parcelforce. No problems at all (Others may beg to differ of course).
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    +1 to any company that uses UPS, they have really upped their game in the last couple of years and (so far) have been totally reliable and safe for me getting guitars to and from France.
    Thanks again everyone, really useful and helpful information. 

Would you normally use UPS's insurance cover? It does bump the price up  bit, but I imagine it's the best option.

• munkymunky Frets: 9
    +1 for UPS, although I go through Parcel2Go.  Excellent service and UPS seem to care a bit more than most other couriers.

People who've knocked things about a bit in the past for me - Parcelforce, CityLink, UK Mail and Yodel.  Although you can't really generalise.  TNT are meant to be good too (although aren't they part of UPS now anyway?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434

Interparcel are an agent/reseller.

Go thorugh this link:

http://www.interparcel.com/couriers/ups.php

With the amount of business that we generate and push their way, we'll be asking for commission ...

There's always a risk with any courier.  I think our combined experience says that there are far fewer issues with UPS than with the others.

Certainly, our local Mr UPS is always friendly, smiling, smart & chatty (he visits quite often!).  He's all I see of UPS, and he creates the positive impression of the whole company.  Compare that to other couriers ( different drivers each time, scruffy unbranded vans, grumpy) and that's why I choose UPS.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2014
    Thanks again everyone for sharing their knowledge and wisdom!

I've edited the ad to include shipping via UPS :-)

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Skarloey said:
    I've posted one electric guitar and a mandolin on separate occasions, both via Parcelforce. No problems at all (Others may beg to differ of course).

parcelforce will let you pay for insurance , but their Ts&Cs say:

Musical instruments - no enhanced compensation is available, so no insurance basically. Check the small print for all couriers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i've used UPS loads of times via interparcel and they are always fast and haven't broken or lost anything yet.

Always get insurance though!

• ToneControl;132427" said:
    Skarloey said:

parcelforce will let you pay for insurance , but their Ts&Cs say:Musical instruments - no enhanced compensation is available, so no insurance basically. Check the small print for all couriers
    Took the words from my mouth, have a wisdom.

I was going to use them via royal mail and even they said it would be insured. I insisted on read terms and conditions and pointed that out to them.

They sounded like they really didn't give a damn, basically saying 'well, why did you bother bringing it here?'.
    edited January 2014
    Hmm....as always, buyer beware. Wisdom to all!

I can't find anything on Interparcel's UPS section that suggests they won't insure a guitar.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Misty said:
    Hmm....as always, buyer beware. Wisdom to all!

I can't find anything on Interparcel's UPS section that suggests they won't insure a guitar.

no, they seem OK

Pharos also use UPS, and I've sent a Vox to Finland using them

Update......I sent the guitar via Interparcel/UPS, it got there safely, the buyer is a happy man, and so am I. All good....many thanks again for the advice!

• I logged in directly to UPS and for a £200 guitar it is quoting £45.60 for delivery/insurance etc...!!
    If I go through interparcel it says £10 or so but I've not gotten through to item cost yet because there's only a pull-down for the address and mine isn't in it!
  • All sorted, for some reason it was cheaper to go through interparcel even though it eventually ends up with UPS... :s :s

Tell you what, that was hard work - took ages to get it packed etc!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    My advice is use UPS , but pack it as if you were using Yodel (you know - expect the worst , so overcompensate with thorough packing and then you'll be doubly sure.

Do slacken off the strings a bit and put a piece of card or paper between strings and frets too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!