Boss ES 5

mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
Hi all
v tempted by one of these bad boys. I think the 8 would be too much as will be v unlikely to use 2 amps etc etc. 
Wondered if anyone had one and how they were getting on with it. Straight forward to use? cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I havre the ES-8 - but in use it's the same really. If you want simple pedal use, it's simple, amp switching etc simple. Once you have your head around it, MIDI controlling is simple.

As with anything if you know what you are trying to achieve, it makes things far easier, finding uses for it from the features then you are learning in another way.

Basic switching, re routing loops, etc is all simple - If you just want it as manual mode, its as simple as using the pedals. If you want to save patches, switch to manual, turn them on and off, hit write, select a patch number, hit write, select name, hit write again - patch done.

PC and CC commands on midi are simple (once you know what you want to send).

On the downside there is so much they can do, but the manual tells you which is great if you know what you are looking for, not great if you don't know the term. But now there are so many guides and you tube videos you can be reassigning anything in a few minutes.

You can do just about anything. I have mine controlling all loops, 4 midi devices, expression pedal routed through either TRS or midi depending on pedal, amp channel switching etc etc. All very powerful and I worked it out without a manual really just by playing.

It does need a PC editor, something of an oversight by Boss, but hopefully coming later as Strymon did it over Midi, the principle is the same for the ES series.

Also the jacks are tight, so you will need careful cable selection
  • NeechyNeechy Frets: 0
    How do I use mine through the FX loop in my amp? Can I have a couple of loops going to the FX loop and two or three going to the front of the amp? I am new to this sort of thing and, frankly, the manual is very confusing. Writing patches is easy, but if that's all I am going to use it for it seems like a waste.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    I have the ES-8 which has a dedicated FX loop insert, but it's easy to do on the ES-5 by using one of the loops to send and return on your amp. So (for example):

Guitar > wah > ES-5 in
    Loop 1 > comp
    Loop 2 > drive
    Loop  3 >  drive
    Loop 4 > FX send/return
    Loop 5 >  mod
    ES-5 out > delay > reverb > amp

You can use the  ES-5 to change the order of effects and move the  FX loop around as well. so you and put your mods before or after your drive pedals. With the delay and reverb out of the ES-5 loops, you can't change the order but you can control them via midi so you can select presets, enable/disable  them, send tap tempo via midi PC and CC commands from the ES-5.