Diy SG Builf advise needed please

What's Hot
Hi All

Santa brought me a diy sg kit from diyguitarshop.co.uk. My plan is to veneer with black fibre the headstock ready for my waterslide decals. I just need some ideas with regards shaping the headstock the heastock is a standard paddle affair at the moment which I obviously want to shape similar to the gibson. now the question is do I shape the paddle first then glue the veneer and then shape that or do I glue the veneer to the paddle and then attempt to shape both?
I will be using a jigsaw to cut the shape and then sanding hopefully to something decent.
This is my second kit build the first was a tele which went fairly ok but I want this to be better.
thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    I'd start with drawing out the shape you want to achieve on a piece of paper, full-size.

Check that where you place the tuners will work (don't interfere with each other, strings don't cross, etc).

Once you're sure that it works, trace it out onto some hardboard or thin mdf.  Get that cut & shaped to the shape you want to achieve.  If nothing else, it's a practice.

Ideally, you'd use the hardboard as a template to make a decent thickness (6mm min) template,which you'd then use with a router and pattern follower bit to shape the actual headstock - having first cut it roughly to shape with your jigsaw.

Doesn't sound like you currently have a router, but a cheapy will cost you £20-£30, plus a fiver for a bit good enough to do this (one) job.

I'd stick the veneer to the headstock and then cut both together, rather than cutting separately.  Because (a) cutting once is easier than cutting twice and (b) you're sure that the veneer will end up the same shape as the headstock!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    Cheers TTony

I do have a router so shouldnt be too much of a hassle for me (famous last words!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I got hiking socks. Which are very warm and comfy. But not an SG kit. Tsk. Wives.

Nice socks mind.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."