Fishman Presys+ problem

I have a super-jumbo size acoustic guitar that was factory fitted with Fishman Presys+ electronics with a Fishman Sonicore transducer. That transducer looks rather like a 3mm dia copper sheathed coax cable lying below the bridge saddle. The problem I am having is that the low A and E strings are noticeably louder than the other strings when plugged into a quality acoustic amp. This is even with the bass controls rolled back on the amp and guitar. Played acoustically the strings are reasonably well balanced.

I have checked that the transducer is properly seated in the saddle slot and runs the whole length. There's no dust or debris in the slot. I've also checked that the bottom of the saddle is perfectly flat by placing it against glass and against a quality straightedge. The saddle is not tight in the slot. The only point that might be relevant is that the transducer cable enters the saddle slot from below at the low-E end and turns 90deg at that point to lie flat in the slot.

Has anyone here overcome similar problems or have advice as to what I might try next please? Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Thanks
Jim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72265
    If the cable end is at the low E that sounds worryingly like the transducer is broken between the A and D strings. If so you will need a new transducer.

If it was me personally I would remove the whole damn lot, fit a K&K Pure Mini body transducer and an endpin jack, and get an external preamp. But that's because I have an deep-seated hatred of Satan's Work electroacoustic guitars and their pickup systems, largely for reasons such as this…

And to be fair, I still have undersaddle transducers in my own guitars, although I've removed the rest of the electrics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Thanks @ICBM. What I dislike generally about the Presys+ and other very similar systems is that they leave a great hole in the top side of the guitar if you take them out to install a better system such as the K&K. -  Or they stay there doing absolutely nothing.

I'll check the transducer for a possible break by perhaps tapping it gently along its length while amplified. But I have to say that there is reasonable signal level from the 1st - 4th strings when compared to the Fishman Matrix system in my Atkin. It's just that the fifth and sixth strings are particularly loud.