Katana

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh, its also very loud.

So far its been on the 0.5W mode mostly and thats good and loud.

Had a quick burst of 50W and then 100W.

Definitely loud enough for his band!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Having heard more clips and people's opinions of these amps the 100 head is looking pretty good as a versatile handy take-anywhere amp that'd also double up as a practice amp. I'd be tempted to try one if I could find someone to buy my real amp haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    So what gives with BOSS taking a Keeley product name??
    Comeback for all those pedals he's buggered around with and charged a fortune for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Boss, being Japanese, have more right to the name than a white American pedal modder.
    As far as I know Keeley isn't a Samurai.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It's also the name of an obscure Fender Japan (and Squier) guitar model from the 80s.

http://www.foundsound.com.au/Content/images/stock/large/Fender_Katana-1549.jpg

Which probably does qualify as a deadly weapon… at least if anyone sees it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1317
    Ive been looking at a blackstar idcore 100 then I see this thread ,anyone compare the two side by side ? as said before its a bit hit and miss listening through computer speakers

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    ICBM said:
    It's also the name of an obscure Fender Japan (and Squier) guitar model from the 80s.

http://www.foundsound.com.au/Content/images/stock/large/Fender_Katana-1549.jpg

Which probably does qualify as a deadly weapon… at least if anyone sees it :).
    ...and a fantastically cool Suzuki motorcycle which often handled like a deadly weapon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, tried the software last night and added a Treble Boost to the front end (in software) along with a Tube Screamer.

Epic musical feedback with lovely smooth drive at 0.5 watts and able to talk to my son at the same time.

I'm sold.
  • Last word on it (no really!)

Whoever designed the implementation of the foot controller is either a gigging guitarist or has listened to a gigging guitarist as it works very well.

When you select one of the channels, you can then enter manual mode (ala GT100) and then switch on or off the individual effects blocks. (Drive, Modulation and reverb). So you can have a channel setup ready to have a treble boost engaged or whatever you preload into it and when needed simply stomp.

But the control I liked the best was when  I connected my DD7, DM2w and CH1 into the loop.  I was then able to switch the loop on or off via the controller.  Switched to 100W mode and the switching was silent.  The pedals worked very very well in the loop and also allowed me to set the tap on the DD7 before engaging it via the foot controller.  The DM2w sounded particularly nice.

To be honest, Boss compacts NOT working with these amps would have caused meltdown on tinternet I guess.

I am now gassing for the 100w head. 

Nuff said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

anyone in Glasgow after one, I seen this on e bay (nothing to do with me )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Boss-Katana-100-Amp-/282279602812?hash=item41b92cea7c:g:858AAOSw44BYNvOU

mark123 said:

anyone in Glasgow after one, I seen this on e bay (nothing to do with me )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Boss-Katana-100-Amp-/282279602812?hash=item41b92cea7c:g:858AAOSw44BYNvOU

I would offer him £190 cash outside e bay as you are collecting
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited December 2016
    Tempting!

But my car is at the garage getting a leaking radiator replaced today :(.

• I'm looking to get one of these after christmas or once I've sold my current amp (whichever is later), a lot of retailers are starting to sell out now though. Getting a little worried about them becoming hard to get hold of given all the good reviews they are getting. Sort of hoping for a good amount of second hand ones to appear post-xmas as unwanted presents though, is that likely?
  • beowulf said:
     Sort of hoping for a good amount of second hand ones to appear post-xmas as unwanted presents though, is that likely?
    Not if my Son's 100w version is anything to go by!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've got some money in my paypal and I'm getting really tempted to buy one.
  • Last word on it (no really!)

Whoever designed the implementation of the foot controller is either a gigging guitarist or has listened to a gigging guitarist as it works very well.

When you select one of the channels, you can then enter manual mode (ala GT100) and then switch on or off the individual effects blocks. (Drive, Modulation and reverb). So you can have a channel setup ready to have a treble boost engaged or whatever you preload into it and when needed simply stomp.

But the control I liked the best was when  I connected my DD7, DM2w and CH1 into the loop.  I was then able to switch the loop on or off via the controller.  Switched to 100W mode and the switching was silent.  The pedals worked very very well in the loop and also allowed me to set the tap on the DD7 before engaging it via the foot controller.  The DM2w sounded particularly nice.

To be honest, Boss compacts NOT working with these amps would have caused meltdown on tinternet I guess.

I am now gassing for the 100w head. 

Nuff said.

I got a 100w combo(with the foot switch) on monday and tried it for the first time last night at rehearsal volumes.  I've yet to try any pedals with it or the software. But I am really pleased with it. Looking forward to trying some of the 'loop' magic you speak of!

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I tend to be a pedals straight in kinda guy, so I'm considering the 50 for the sheer portability and low price. Does anyone know how well it holds together in a loud-ish band setting? 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Trude said:
    I tend to be a pedals straight in kinda guy, so I'm considering the 50 for the sheer portability and low price. Does anyone know how well it holds together in a loud-ish band setting? 

I'm thinking the same thing very tempting, hope to try one out over the weekend. Do you know if the 50 watt works with the 4 button footswitch?

I had to get rid of my last amp 410 Fender Blues Deluxe due to dodgy back & these amps look great for the weight to power ratio, plus I hate having to go through different amps at the rehearsal studio so an amp I can transport easily is a bonus.

• JD50 said:
    Trude said:

I'm thinking the same thing very tempting, hope to try one out over the weekend. Do you know if the 50 watt works with the 4 button footswitch?

I had to get rid of my last amp 410 Fender Blues Deluxe due to dodgy back & these amps look great for the weight to power ratio, plus I hate having to go through different amps at the rehearsal studio so an amp I can transport easily is a bonus.

No, the 50w does not work with the 4 button Footswitch, you can only toggle between ch1 and ch2.

I've just got the 100w, it is relatively light, but not chuck it round the house light, about 14kg I believe.  The 50 is quite a bit lighter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom