Folsom Prison Blues Solo

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
edited October 2016 in Technique
Having real trouble with this, what sounds a fairly simple, solo.  I am stuck around 2/3 of the way through the solo and all the online or tabs sound or are plain wrong.  Anyone care to help, suggest an accurate tab or whatever.  The problem is that JC played it in F [capo or sharpened guitar tuning?] but I am playing it in E.  When I first learned this song, it was mid 1970s, and I invented the bit in the middle before the solo resolves to the E chord.  I would like to get it down as per the record.  Very frustrating, would appreciate any help or guidance.  The Dario Cortese online instruction video is confusing and sounds wrong to me.  It may be right, just does not sound right.  If you follow me.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    JC seemed to use lower and lower keys as he got older. Most of the youtube stuff I've seen he's been in F although IRC the original record is in G? I assume you're OK with the I chord part of the solo? For the iV chord I play 3 variants of a Bb on the top 3 strings: 3 3 1, 7 6 6, 10 11 10. I don't think I could accurately work out which strings I'm picking. I just have the sound in my head and let my fingers follow as best they can. It's more about the vibe IMHO. I doubt they ever played it exactly the same twice running.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks to @Plectrum and @koneguitarist for their help with this solo.  After their guidance, I now have all the notes 'down', it is just a matter of getting the rhythm right.  I was a bit loose on the rhythm [bop de bop] as I had forgotten how to damp strings.  This schoolboy error caused me to sound in a way that, those who played it correctly, sounded wrong.  I now have revised my opinion of Dario Cortese -  a failing on his instruction video is that he plays the piece through at the beginning (of the video) and not at the end.  By this time next week I should have the piece up to speed.  All things considered, this is progress.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• It is one of the great "less is more" solos!