James Taylor

What's Hot
I've been a fan since 1970. In those days (IIRC) he was playing Gibson dreadnoughts. These days he uses something custom built that I could afford even less than a Gibbo dread.

I noticed this from @Brize in another thread about the Gibson Blues King:

"Yeah, it kinda does what it says on the tin. It's great for Robert Johnson blues; less great if you want to play James Taylor stuff."

and it got me thinking, what would you recommend for playing James Taylor stuff?

tbh I find the necks on most acoustics leave the strings a bit too close together for accurate positioning of the fretting fingers (to avoid fouling the next string) - or maybe my technique has got lazy through years of single-note electric playing - but there's no way I'd want something as wide as a Spanish guitar.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Having spent a bit more time with my Blues King I'm inclined to revise that opinion a little bit. It's no lap piano but it's a more versatile guitar than I'd originally thought. Maybe I just lucked out and got a good one.

I guess you've been playing guitars with a 1 11/16" nut width if you've found the string spacing too cramped - fingerstyle players often prefer a 1 3/4" nut width. James Taylor cut those early 70s hits with a Gibson J50. Gibson were messing around with nut widths in the mid to late 60s but I think their standard nut width falls between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4".

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited January 2014

and it got me thinking, what would you recommend for playing James Taylor stuff?

serious, non piss-taking answer,  based on your last paragraph and unless you have sausage fingers -  practice your technique
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @bertie you may well be right. I've found recently that my Gretsch "Jim Dandy" parlour has become easier to play in this respect, probably because it's been sitting around and I just pick it up to play ... and no I don't have pork sausages for fingers.

physical dimensions aside, what is there that's affordable that gets close to JT's sound?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Brize said:
    I guess you've been playing guitars with a 1 11/16" nut width if you've found the string spacing too cramped - fingerstyle players often prefer a 1 3/4" nut width. James Taylor cut those early 70s hits with a Gibson J50. Gibson were messing around with nut widths in the mid to late 60s but I think their standard nut width falls between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4".

Apart from playing my parlour at home, I've been playing a 1974 SG Std (non-fingerpicking mode, natch) in recent weeks. It has a seriously slim neck, on which I could not hope to fingerpick! Fortunately, for that job I was not required to.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791

I can play normal 1.75 inch acoustics quite well, but I do have a Larrivee SD-60, which is 1 and 7/8 inch wide

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/60/SD60.php

This is easier when playing more classical stuff, or playing DADGAD, etc. where you're higher up the neck, but still with some open strings ringing

There's no shame in wide nuts, classicals are 2 inches

but.. I think many acoustics have the nut cut too high, and that causes this sort of issue in the bottom 4-5 frets, I assume you have eliminated that possibility?

• One Christmas, my missus gave me the tab book to JT's Greatest Hits, because there were a few I'd always wanted to play, but particularly Something. Turns out it's a tad more complex than I imagined it would be, so I struggled manfully with it for a bit then gave in until I could find a teacher who could help me out.

"Is there anything specific you'd like to learn?"

Yes this. I refuse point blank to be beaten by a fucking hippy.

My teacher did what he could with me before we both admitted the inevitable.

The hippy won.

Still love him, though.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TheOtherDennis is it the mark of a master that he makes the impossibly tricky look so easy ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of videos on justinguitar, some lick library stuff, and also there's this guy https://www.jerrysguitarbar.com/guitar-video-lessons/the-artist-collections/james-taylor-guitar-lessons/

I've had a go at a couple of things, certainly Fire & Rain... and of course its not easy, but I don't reckon you need a special nut width.... just a lot of practice.

In terms of the guitar I would just say something full and warm sounding, rather than a blues/parlour guitar.

Excellent taste btw

:)
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of videos on justinguitar, some lick library stuff, and also there's this guy https://www.jerrysguitarbar.com/guitar-video-lessons/the-artist-collections/james-taylor-guitar-lessons/

I've had a go at a couple of things, certainly Fire & Rain... and of course its not easy, but I don't reckon you need a special nut width.... just a lot of practice.

In terms of the guitar I would just say something full and warm sounding, rather than a blues/parlour guitar.

Excellent taste btw

:)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    On JTs own website he has a few videos teaching specifics.

Whist it doesn't cover every hit song he ever had, it gives a nice insight to his thought process and playing approach.

http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitarlessons/index.html

I saw him a couple of years ago and he has adapted his live playing to be very managable so don't be too put off.

A great entertainer as well as songsmith.  Colour me a fan.

• Nice one ESB, I'll be having a look at that!
  • @TheOtherDennis is it the mark of a master that he makes the impossibly tricky look so easy ;)
    Indeed. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    he has a very weird way of fingering a root position A major chord - using his first finger for the C sharp to allow his strongest finger for those hammer ons he is so fond of ... a marvellous musician !
  • correct, and his fingering of the open D major chord is also back to front compare with the rest of us. Still, don't knock it, he's made enough out of it!
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited January 2014
    My word, that guitar in the videos sounds utterly sublime! What is it? It's gorgeous.

Ace camera work, too, a great way to show someone how it goes. (I still doubt I'd ever be able to manage it, though! :D )
  • He's coming to the UK in September, but tickets are £53.20 each for Brum, and then the touts, sorry ticket services, want to add their lump of fees to them, typically 6 quid a go.

Yeesh, I've not been to a gig for longer than I thought!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Do it Dennis, he's getting old and will stop touring one day. There will be fewer chances than you think. ;-)

In fact I might drag my sorry arse to Brummingham for that one.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited January 2014
    Can't argue with what you're saying, it's a very fair point, but I just don't have 120 quid to spend on a single night out for me and the missus. :-S  (Well, not with our current cash flow, anyway.)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Love that JT guitar lessons link, it`s players/songs like that that first made me want to pick up a guitar.
  • @Tone71 Indeed Sir! 'Twas back in 1970 when I first heard Sweet Baby James that I realised there was more to playing guitar than thumping chords and from then on vowed to find out how to do it properly! I'm still on a wonderful journey ...