Why is it always the simple stuff that throws your brain & fingers!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
edited October 2016 in Technique
I've just been learning a new song the guys in my band want to do - Danny California by TRHCP.   No problem with the structure, tones, or even the lead solo.  Where my brain/fingers has been struggling (ridiculously!) is on that little 3 chord bridge section and the change to the third chord & flick down - simply because I'm not used to playing the minor seventh with a full bar.   

I've got it now, but to get that little bit right has probably taken me (re. the old repetition muscle memory) as long as learning the rest of the song.  Stupid, but there it is.  
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2016
    I'm struggling with the picking melody intro to Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels.  It's just a bunch of progressive picked phrases.    I can play it up to speed and faster even and it sounds great.  Problem is that I just can't remember it after going away for 20 minutes and coming back again.  It's totally gone.  Although I love it, it's a totally alien sound to me.  It's often the same with singing phrasing.

If it was a hair metal riff or even a fast solo I could have it down by ear within a few minutes and remember it for life.  Similarly anything by the RHCP.

I think this is called learning, it's really, really annoying.  Especially when it's within your capabilities.  I suppose I should take my own advice and commit the melody to memory so I can sing it in my head, because that helps.  In this case, I think it's because I'm not used to doing long country phrases in a single position with a lot of on off finger movement but no hand movement.

Then again, I'm sure someone who has grown up with country struggles with hairmetal.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    edited October 2016
    Yup, as I've got older memory is not what it was.  I think it's harder too when you'e learning something of a slightly different 'ilk' where chords/fingering/timing are just that little bit different - for me, TRHCP doesn't fall into the blues/classic rock domain that I normally play - but they're a good band, and Danny California is a good song. .  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Strange.  I haven't practiced at all on guitar but now remember it as instinct out of the blue, maybe because I mostly because I made an effort to remember the melody in my head. 

It must take a few days to establish the new neurol networks or something. 

I think that's the best advice.  Learn it so you can play it so you can technically finger it up to speed.  Leave the guitar alone for a few days, commit it to memory, then get back on the guitar.  It works for me anyway. 

I'm not really a fast learner. and usually remember things out of mood more than anything else.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:
    Strange.  I haven't practiced at all on guitar but now remember it as instinct out of the blue, maybe because I mostly because I made an effort to remember the melody in my head. 

I think that's the best advice.  Learn it so you can play it so you can technically finger it up to speed.  Leave the guitar alone for a few days, commit it to memory, then get back on the guitar.  It works for me anyway. 
    Yup, agree & that's what I do too. 
  • Voxman said:
    Sambostar said:

Yup, agree & that's what I do too. 
    I think that's good advice from @Sambostar. It's also the approach I would use.

Sometimes I can't get the phrasing of a guitarist I've not copied before and have to live with it for a while.

I've even had the problem with things I've been playing effortlessly for years. It's happened with the riff to Reeling In The Years and even (embarrassingly) the simple riff to Run To You. It think it happens when I start to experiment with different picking patterns such as economy picking which throws off what I've previously been doing instinctively. But that's usually a quick fix once I rethink it.
    It's not a competition.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Voxman said:
    Danny California by TRHCP
    Dani California

Was wondering why I couldn't find it on Spotify.  You've changed the sex!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Voxman said:
    Dani California

Yup, typos rule...sorry 'bout that!  At least I can play it now a bit better than I can spell it!  :)
  • Voxman said:
    Dani California

Here you go

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Voxman said:
    Dani California

Here you go

RAOTFALMAO!