Old Kimbara N76

Hi everyone, just came across your site as I was hunting for info on my machine. I'm sure this is around 50 years old minimum. It was described as a concert model- heavy in the bass, and is really nicely made. Unfortunately, for various reasons I don't play it now and wondered if anyone had any info re' it's actual rarity and worth.

Thanks

John B

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Hard to be sure without a photo. Kimbaras were imported from Japan (Korea in the '80s) from the late '60s onwards by a UK company called FCN. Most came over in the mid-late '70s, so yours is more likely 30-40 years old rather than 50. They're not particularly rare, and are considered low to medium quality. I'd say a Kimbara classical with a laminated top (look at the edges of the soundhole to tell) in average but playable condition is worth roughly £30-£45, while a higher-quality solid-top model in VGC could be up to £100, a bit more with a nice hard case. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    I agree with KKJale except for the valuations - if it's a Japanese-made one in nice condition these (not Kimbara specifically, just all Japanese guitars) are starting to become more valuable now. Obviously not like "proper" vintage guitar pricing, but if it's a good one it should be worth at least £100 even for a laminate top, and probably double that if it's a solid top. They have character and there's a nostalgia market for anything like this now, for people who had one when they were young.

Over the last couple of years I've restored and sold quite a few old "cheap" guitars and almost always got more than £100. Even a late-70s B&M Espana classical went for £75 and a Kimbara should definitely be worth more than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein