Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)

What's Hot

Comments

• I like the look of it. I like that Nintendo are continuing to stay out of the "mediocre PC in your living room" arms race of the Microsoft and Sony and haven't lost focus that plenty of people still like local multiplayer. Having said that, the peripheral prices are pretty brutal and the launch price was a bit more than I was expecting. Having said that, I'm still thinking about getting a PS4 but I think what will sway me will be having a play in store on one. I definitely think the built in screen is an asset since I rarely have the chance to play in front of the tv for a few hours...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    WezV said:
    Hold on - The new Zelda is showing as £59.99 - £20 more than Wii U.   WTF is that about!
    Standard RRP for new games these days. It's likely that everything will actually cost £45. Maybe not from day 1 though.

I wondered if it was a cartridge Vs dIsc thing since the Wii U version is the same game released at the same time

anyway - its all pre-ordered

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Can't wait. I texted my daughter that I'd preordered one. She texted a 'thank you so much!' back. I haven't had the heart to tell her it's for me, not her :-)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Well after just seeing the trailer for what can only be described as the "mother Zelda", a Switch is getting pre-ordered. It looks absolutely fantastic. And £280 for a handheld AND home console, it's not a bad price at all, really.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    Zelda and Switch ordered.  Ordered the limited edition because it comes with a case, saves buying another one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Why did the WiiU not stay in the No1 spot for games sales? was it the sub-par hardware? Was it the strange tablet-controller (which was only well used in 2 or 3 titles and the rest were awful) ... no. It was the shockingly poor collection of games (unless you count shitty JRPGs that didn't get a translation)...

So.... did the Switch announce a massive selection of new games? No... even Mariocart isn't out for months ... Nintendo seem intent on having another failed/niche console.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    The WiiU was extremely poorly marketed (i have friends who still thought it was a Wii add-on until I bought one a year ago). It has lots of good games, people just don't know about them.  

And Mario Kart is confirmed for April. Mario Odyssey will be later in the year. Even the new Sonic looks great. 

But ignoring all that, Nintendo's thing is not to try and compete with Sony & Microsoft, it's doing something completely different, and they're great at it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Will it play DS cartridges? My mobile gaming console of choice is still the DS as I have some great games for it and it plays GBA carts also
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    I'be not been into gaming for about 25 years, but my kids are now fascinated by them. We've held out so far but this looks much more like a unit that bridges the generations of gaming. Very tempted indeed by this...
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I've ordered one on Amazon but I'm honestly unsure why.

Ive got a Wii U but that took ages to get any decent games out for it.

The line up looks decent, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyseyy and Zelda.

But in reality are they any different to what I have on my Wii U bar the new Mario.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    mellowsun said:
    Will it play DS cartridges? My mobile gaming console of choice is still the DS as I have some great games for it and it plays GBA carts also

Nope. It's single screen so it's not clear how they could support DS ports.
    Preordered with collectors edition of Zelda and pro controller. Can't wait!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Don't really want to spend that much, but we've only got the original Wii and my daughters see Youtube videos with more recent versions of Mario Pary and Mario Karts and complaining.  I'm wondering where it's worth stumping up for this, or whether to look out for a cheap Wii U that someone is upgrading from.
    crunchman said:
    Don't really want to spend that much, but we've only got the original Wii and my daughters see Youtube videos with more recent versions of Mario Pary and Mario Karts and complaining.  I'm wondering where it's worth stumping up for this, or whether to look out for a cheap Wii U that someone is upgrading from.
    Don't get the Wii U. It was a total flop. At the very least stick with the Wii and maybe wait until the Switch goes down in price.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    I'll give it a few months and see what the YouTube reviews are saying about it
  • beed84 said:
    crunchman said:
    Don't get the Wii U. It was a total flop. At the very least stick with the Wii and maybe wait until the Switch goes down in price.
    Wii U has lots of positives especially now you can pick them up quite cheap, it is great family fun, Mario Kart 8 is just pure awesome as is Mario 3d World, Nintendoland, Mario Party, WiipartyU... lots of great indie titles £0.80 - £5.00 and it plays Wii titles..

and if you dont mind being a tad naughty Loadiine works very well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    beed84 said:
    crunchman said:
    Wii U has lots of positives especially now you can pick them up quite cheap, it is great family fun, Mario Kart 8 is just pure awesome as is Mario 3d World, Nintendoland, Mario Party, WiipartyU... lots of great indie titles £0.80 - £5.00 and it plays Wii titles..

and if you dont mind being a tad naughty Loadiine works very well.
    Just playing through Yoshi's Wooly World now, very good indeed - another one for the list. 

Plus two Zeldas, Pikmin, Lego City and Movie, plenty more besides :)
  • I've pre-ordered one too, will be nice to have a casual console again, and a portable for that matter. Hope the game prices drop a little though, else it'll probably get dusty quite quickly.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires