SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Hodson Jazzcat (no, really!)

What's Hot
Just wondering if anyone has one of these they want rid of... any body condition so long as the back of the neck is clean and with minimal fretwear...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davejmdavejm Frets: 3
    Forlorn bump :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ebay? They are about £150 arent they?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • They show up on ebay as being within 5 miles of here. So I dropped them an email to ask if I could come and have a look and play some guitars but sadly no reply. That puts them in the 'plenty of other ways to risk 150 quid' category for me. Harsh, maybe. But I'm old and i don't care..
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, (another oldie here, too - Howdy ;) ) I emailed them and messaged them via eBay and similarly got no response a week or so ago - I've played their Surfcat and it wasn't too bad at all so I was thinking of getting the Jazzcat (pref used and cheaper, needless to say) and upgrading it...
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited June 2020

davejm said:
    Just wondering if anyone has one of these they want rid of... any body condition so long as the back of the neck is clean and with minimal fretwear...

A bit late but, yes, I have a Hodson Jazzcat for sale. It has seen very little use, no fret wear. It has an oil city P90 pickup in the neck. A great inexpensive guitar, low action, alder body 25.5 scale fender type neck. I might take some pictures and post it in the for sale section.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8781
    6.5 year necro bumpage. Is this a new record? Outstanding skills, @GuyBoden ;
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18543
    Wow, resurrection shuffle indeed.
    Just read the Hodson blurb '... sofisticated...'  hope the proof reader was sacked.
    They seem to be very good value guitars though, even in 2020  ;)
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Wow, resurrection shuffle indeed.
    Just read the Hodson blurb '... sofisticated...'  hope the proof reader was sacked.
    They seem to be very good value guitars though, even in 2020  ;)

Yes they were good value guitars, I bought it because I wanted to try the Jazzmaster shape, also it sounded good and played very well for a an inexpensive guitar. I've been thinking about taking some pics and selling it for a number of years, but haven't quite got around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Hey Guy - just had to thank you for the consideration and delving this far back. In the meantime I bought a couple of Squier JMs (the Mascis isn't so bad...) so I'm out of the market, but I have to say that that old Hodson Surfcat has proven to be the real favourite - a slim and shallow neck profile on the maple neck and 6 years on still stays as straight as a die. Not only that, but the stock pickups on it are so inexplicably classic Strat sounding (no, really - it nails Chilton's Big Star Strat sound) that I unreservedly recommend that Surfcat model to anyone. No reason to think this Jazzcat won't similarly be a more than decent gtr since at the time they must've come from the same production source. All the best, sirrah.