SG side-jack loose

Hi,

I have a '90 SG and the jack socket has become loose. I took the back panel off, expecting to tighten a screw or thumb wheel, but it's already at maximum - the thread stops halfway along the barrel. I can't work out how it was kept in place before. There was nothing in the cavity that'd come off and, as far as I can remember, it's always been flush to the body on the outside.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It was probably glued in by someone who didn't have the right replacement jack and the glue has finally come unstuck.

The original Switchcraft barrel jack should have the thread going all the way along, but many cheap import ones don't, so it sounds like it isn't the original jack. They are complete crap (including the Switchcrafts) so it being replaced at some point wouldn't be unusual.

Why they were thought of as a 'high quality' fitting for higher-end guitars I do not know… they've been notorious for failing for at least thirty years. Unlike a standard open-frame jack it's almost impossible to clean and re-tension the contacts either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
  • Thanks for the replies. I've owned this guitar from new, and the socket hasn't been replaced...yet! I dunno, it's weird. It hasn't been played for a while, so I don't know how it goes from being fine to not being fine. 

I get the idea about washers, but I can't get my head around how it worked before.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    That is very odd!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Pics?
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!