Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Am I mad?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sounds like you need a two-amp setup to me 
    Don't start :P Seriously, though, I've considered it. It's just too much hassle for the kind of gigs I play - when you only get five or six minutes to set up, two amps is a step too far.

Plus there's the fact that my rig is designed to be lightweight. I can handle an extra couple of kg to go from a Kraken to a JCA22H; another amp and cab on top of that, and the benefits significantly outweigh the drawbacks.
    Two heads, stereo 2x12 with one side per amp (and a speaker to suit) and it's not all that unreasonable ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still not helping :P

I'm actually at peace with this, on the basis that I didn't buy the Kraken because I was unhappy with the Jet City. I just bought it because I thought it might be better.

The real test comes when I eventually get a Kemper (which may come sooner than I thought, if we get bonuses this year).
    <space for hire>
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737

This has made me realise how much I miss my Jet City amps.

Sadly they weren't clean enough for the functions band I play in but their drive - wow.

Might get another one and a 1x12 for home use - that will make me very happy

• I'd like to try one.
    The HT5 is still one of the most fun amps I've played and cheap as chips.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    gubble said:

Sadly they weren't clean enough for the functions band I play in but their drive - wow.

The Custom 22 has proper clean by all accounts.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    gubble said:

The Custom 22 has proper clean by all accounts.
    Yes it does. 

FWIW, if any of the regular guys on here are having problems with their Jet City 50 or 100 loop I have a Morley Effects Loop Corrector I'd be willing to let anyone try for the price of postage. 

It worked well for me but there is some scepticism with some fx setups, so worth checking it out first. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2016
    This new Jet City 50w head has got me interested. I use a 22v as a back-up, and as my main amp (Fender HRD) is at the amp hospital it'll be getting some use this weekend. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    Dave_Mc said:

Most of his customers hadn't even heard of Soldano. 
    That's fair. I was at a gig once with the Decatone and one of the Jaden Rose guitars. Had a guy come up to me...

"Why are you playing a cheap Marshall copy and an Ibanez knockoff? Get yourself a Les Paul and a JCM800, you'll sound miles better."

I larfed.
    Hahahaha, that reminds me (I know I keep saying this) of when someone on the old Musicradar forum said someone came up to him after a gig and said, "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to afford a real Fender soon..."

He had a Tyler.

Dave_Mc said:

I mean, I agree with you 100%. I recommend them all the time over on Ultimate Guitar, they're hard to fault for the price. Really good amps full stop (apart from the loop, maybe), but the fact they're about £250 for the heads is crazy. I mean, I can buy a Jet City head for not much more than a Wampler SLOstortion. Which is kind of hilarious and crazy at the same time.
    I know what you mean.

When people are asking what the best boutique high gain pedal is I often think of saying "just buy a Jet City" (assuming they are bedroom players)
    Yeah that's what I always wonder too. I mean, I know some people will have genuine reasons for why the pedal is more useful for them than another amp (maybe they need it for one song in their set, need a different style of amp for the rest of their songs and don't want to have to drag two amps with them, or maybe they just don't have the room to store another amp), but if that's not the case I struggle to understand why you wouldn't just buy the real thing, especially when the prices are so similar. Ok, a slightly cheaper version of the real thing, but close enough.
    I was talking to someone recently who said a punter had come up to them after a gig pointed at their Suhr and said: "Do you hope to get a real Fender someday?"
    Haha that's pretty much the same as the Tyler thing I said above.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited October 2016
    Sounds like you need a two-amp setup to me 
    Don't start :P Seriously, though, I've considered it. It's just too much hassle for the kind of gigs I play - when you only get five or six minutes to set up, two amps is a step too far.

Plus there's the fact that my rig is designed to be lightweight. I can handle an extra couple of kg to go from a Kraken to a JCA22H; another amp and cab on top of that, and the benefits significantly outweigh the drawbacks.
    Two heads, stereo 2x12 with one side per amp (and a speaker to suit) and it's not all that unreasonable
    It is essentially the rig I'm putting together.

mono Engl combo Dry
    sitting on top of a stereo 2x12 Wet

Thus is born the

Dry
                                   Wet---------Wet

Rig.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • The JCA50h is crazy good for the money. Im still back to my JVM for the moment but I'm definitely holding on to the JC.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2016
    I'm seriously considering going back to the Jet city amps. The Kraken's lovely - really lovely - but the Gain II channel just doesn't have that lovely fullness of the Jet City amps' lead channels.

If I do, this will be the second relatively high-priced amp I've ditched in favour of the cheap-as-chips Jet City units.
    I bloody told you that when you bought it! :-P

And I'll tell you as well - you will not be happy with the Kemper. It doesn't feel like a real amp, even if it sounds like one.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm seriously considering going back to the Jet city amps. The Kraken's lovely - really lovely - but the Gain II channel just doesn't have that lovely fullness of the Jet City amps' lead channels.

If I do, this will be the second relatively high-priced amp I've ditched in favour of the cheap-as-chips Jet City units.
    I bloody told you that when you bought it! :-P
    I know, you were right. I thought I could live with it - because I'd only be using Gain II for solos, I could just boost the Gain I channel for extra rhythm gain. Because that ends with it going fuzzy, though, it's not an option.

My main thought is that this is an amp for those who are only going to get their dirt from the amp.

It's a shame, because Gain I is glorious. It just doesn't quite have enough gain on tap to do the whole job.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd be snapping your hand off and buying the Kraken off you if there were two Gain I channels instead of the Gain II, and if it did clean a bit nicer. Almost the perfect amp for home and rehearsal.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    You certainly don't help my jet city gas. Now I hear the custom 22 has a proper clean channel as well!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I'd be snapping your hand off and buying the Kraken off you if there were two Gain I channels instead of the Gain II, and if it did clean a bit nicer. Almost the perfect amp for home and rehearsal.

Sounds like you need 2 Krakens.

Wait, probably 3, for the cleans..
  • Drew_TNBD said:

Sounds like you need 2 Krakens.

Wait, probably 3, for the cleans..
    If he use 3 Krakens for the cleans his distortion sounds are going to seem pretty quiet in comparison.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    digitalscream said:.... I'm definitely going to be going down the Kemper route at some point in the next year or so ... That's the reason I've always been happy with the Axe FX. Not just for the ability to change amps and settings, I also like to try out effects settings. If I'd been using real amps and pedals I would have spent more, and learned less.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • For counter balance I've spent more on pedals since buying the Axe FX. But that's skewed by how expensive bass preamps can be. Not that the Axe FX doesn't do good bass sounds, it just doesn't have Darkglass/Sansamp sounds in it.
  • Well, that's put the cat amongst the pigeons. I chucked an email over to Victory to see if they had a mod which could correct the "problem" of Gain II's voicing being utterly bereft of low-end. Dude's going to look into it and let me know...
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Well, that's put the cat amongst the pigeons. I chucked an email over to Victory to see if they had a mod which could correct the "problem" of Gain II's voicing being utterly bereft of low-end. Dude's going to look into it and let me know...

I'd be very interested in their reply. I've found gain 1 is amazing, I'm using a eqd palisades to push it into a heavier OD.

In my head I was going to use Gain2 for the beefy chuggy low end stuff, but it doesn't quite fit the bill. instead I'm using the eqd and a germanium fuzz on gain1, which does the job sort of but is too muddy and looses punch.

I was going to try a RC booster or OCD to boost either g1 or g2 next for some more low end.