Boss ME-80 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited January 2014 in FX

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Even better for £229...

That could be the multi effects unit I could manage to use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Even better for £229...

That could be the multi effects unit I could manage to use.

A typo .. just corrected. It's the first Boss ME unit I've though I could use.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Price pointed against the Fender Mustang and Line6 / (Yamaha?) HD400, good marketing by Roland Boss.
    Shame there are no control outs or ins though.
    Nice unit for the money, shame they didn't get a better jam to show it off at the end of the video, I'll bet it sounds much better than that.

Price pointed against the Fender Mustang and Line6 / (Yamaha?) HD400, good marketing by Roland Boss.
    Shame there are no control outs or ins though.
    Nice unit for the money, shame they didn't get a better jam to show it off at the end of the video, I'll bet it sounds much better than that.
    Wait until Alex Hutchings gets his hands on on - he's my favourite Boss demonstrator. But if the Glimmer Twins at Andertons can make it sound OK them Mr Average should be able to as well.

• MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    edited January 2014
    We just put up our demo of this. Matt had the unit over the weekend and worked out how to really get the best out of it. So far, everyone at GAK is REALLY impressed with it. The video is here:

We also had Jamie from Boss in to talk in depth about the ME-80 on our podcast this week. If you fancy some REALLY in-depth chat about it, it's probably worth listening to the podcast: http://gak.podomatic.com/enclosure/2014-01-15T00_00_00-08_00.mp3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I loved the ME-50, just what I needed for live use.

Colour me interested. I'm not watching a "Monkey Lord[1]" demo though.

[1] Jesus wept.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some good sounds there, but I'm still yet to find a single use for 'ring modulation' in any situation!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    Shame it has and expression pedal on it or it might be the perfect multi I've been looking for.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2014
    I like this and similar concept to the ME-50 and ME-70 (owned both). They were good sounding and easy to use, particularly the ME-50, and they seemed to have addressed the issues/shortfalls of the previous ME units.

The GT units had too many pages and the programming was too in depth. Also, IMHO, each new model sounded progressively worse (GT-8 was ok).
  • My ME-50 is on the brink of death. this could be well timed
    Lixarto said:
    I loved the ME-50, just what I needed for live use.

Colour me interested. I'm not watching a "Monkey Lord[1]" demo though.

[1] Jesus wept.
    @Lixarto .. have to agree ...:-)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Massive fail imho.
    edited January 2014
    Why so @Drew_fx, what would you have done differently or liked to have seen on the ME-80, given it's market position, target audience and £229 price point.  Genuine question.

• LevLev Frets: 228
    Another decent demo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5BXrfgMO6o

If you stick with it past the cheesy 80's intro it does show some nice sound combinations available on this unit. I think combining the Terra Echo, Multi Overtone and the Freeze effect could be fun for creating big sound scape effects.
    @MarkGAK - nice demo. When are they likely to be in stock?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Why so @Drew_fx, what would you have done differently or liked to have seen on the ME-50, given it's market position, target audience and £229 price point.  Genuine question.
    I can't tell if your typo of ME-50 is a joke or not. But even if not, this unit really doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table. May as well buy an ME-50!!

The footswitches look awful to me. Both visually, and they don't look like they'll be easy to use. Too close together.

I know it doesn't offer the WYSIWYG aspects, but when you can buy a Zoom MS unit that allows freely assignable effects slots that can be any type, offers more FX slots, for less money, I am unconvinced by this.
    Cheers Drew, d'oh typo indeed - but lol for the reply to that.  (edited post to save further embarrassment)
    I get where you are coming from ref the Zoom.

I know it either adds to the costs or makes it less WYSIWYG  (world's most horrible acronym?), but assignable block positions, a assignable loop, and midi would have been great, and maybe line out without the speaker sim. Not sure if you can do the shim-verb thing? but it does offer a lot for the cash, as does the Zoom.
    Front / back is easier for close switching than side to side, so I think it will work.

So maybe a good addition as a 'do all' pedal?  That will need some consideration.

Great demo vid Lew, nice chops and shows it off well too.

I am with Fretwired on the Alex Hutchings demo, looking forward to that, just good to hear him play, wish he would get his album(s) sorted.
    I googled this and it came up with your post as the fourth item, pretty good going.  No demo yet though.
    It came up with demos of the ME-50, so probably why I did the typo !

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited January 2014
    MarkGAK said:
    We just put up our demo of this. Matt had the unit over the weekend and worked out how to really get the best out of it. So far, everyone at GAK is REALLY impressed with it. The video is here:

We also had Jamie from Boss in to talk in depth about the ME-80 on our podcast this week. If you fancy some REALLY in-depth chat about it, it's probably worth listening to the podcast: http://gak.podomatic.com/enclosure/2014-01-15T00_00_00-08_00.mp3
    I think though, that once you got over the buzz of sounding like a Milk Float on its rounds at 4am (@14:56) it could get a bit annoying that you have to wade through all the wonky stuff to have a good honest, 'live' tone to work with...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @MarkGAK - nice demo. When are they likely to be in stock?
    As far as I'm aware, they'll be with us around the middle of February. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I know it doesn't offer the WYSIWYG aspects, but when you can buy a Zoom MS unit that allows freely assignable effects slots that can be any type, offers more FX slots, for less money, I am unconvinced by this.
    Got to agree with Drew on this, I think the Zoom G series have moved the game on. 

There are several ways this pedal could be used and I can imagine one of the main ones is in the loop of a decent amp as a purely mod/delay/verb machine and in that function having modules dedicated to the rather unconvincing sounding Amp and OD sections doesn't really make sense. 

I'm pondering using my G3 as a delay pedal ATM because it's so versatile it's actually a really good alternative to the Flashback X4. 6 simultaneous delays :D

Also I just don't think from the demos it really sounds all that great, but then the Zoom stuff didn't in a lot of the early demos so I'll reserve judgement.