Time for new strings

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
I've changed strings on my bass once and I probably bought D'Addario because that's what I always buy for my guitars. I think I could do with trying something else for my 4-string though and looking around it seems that 45-105 or 45-110 is the favoured gauge and that DR Hi Beams or Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys are what bassists I like are using.

So DR or EB?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    It can't be time for new strings, the date still starts with 20.

:)

If I'd bought a new bass and it had crap strings on it, I would fit DRs though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    It's not so much that the strings on it are crap, I just think that I should maybe up the gauge to improve the sound and feel. I get fret rattle at the moment.
    Ok scrap that, I just found the old packet in a drawer: D'Addario EXL165, 45-105 set (.045/.065/.085/.105).
    So it's not the gauge so must be the set up.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Daddario's are slinker than some, I've played Fender strings that were the same gauge but a bit stiffer, good if you like a slightly faster attack and less sustain.
  • Daddario's are slinker than some, I've played Fender strings that were the same gauge but a bit stiffer, good if you like a slightly faster attack and less sustain.
    I've found the same.

I like daddario myself. I use pro steels because they work well for getting a clear low B string. If I was in standard E tuning I think I'd go back to nickel though just because I like the fatness
    I'm in standard E tuning as I don't play much bass. So even with the same gauge other brands may feel stiffer than the D'Addarios? That's interesting and takes me back to my OP.
    I want more bass from my, er, bass. It sounds a bit light at the moment so I reckon a combination of setup, strings and possibly pickup upgrade will get me there.

I like the Tool / Biffy / Muse bass sounds.
  • What bass is it?
    What bass is it?
    Nothing fancy, it's a Samick Greg Bennett Fairlane FN4.

http://cdns3.gear4music.com/media/15/154741/1200/preview.jpg

• slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I put D Addiwotsits on my Musicman in 2013. They are still ok.
  • I've got Elixir Nanoweb 0.045 to 0.130 on my 5 string bass. The E is 0.100.

I really like them. They've got a smooth feel and have lasted ages. 

It's not a competition.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    Construction is far more important than gauge. Rotos are quite stiff, D'addario nickels are quite bendy.

Same for flatwounds. Rotos Monel flats are like solid bits of metal and TI flats are soft as a baby's arse.

Ive been trying the new EB Cobalt flats. Tension is higher than same size rounds but these are flats for people that like the sound of rounds. So they are bright and clear. Well worth a try.
  • I'm using Rotosound at the moment but think I preferred the Fenders that came on my Squier
  • Fret buzz does not come from too old strings. Your neck has probably flattened out. Cheap basses do that a lot (and some expensive ones). As for strings: the new d'addario NYXL are the best I have tried for a wide spectrum sound. Sound good for a long time too. 
    I initially thought that my strings may have been too light a gauge but they're not. The neck relief was fine so I played around with the action and it's playing much better now.
    I might even upgrade the pickups! ;)
  • If it's a traditional low output passive Jazz style you could consider a preamp pedal if you otherwise like the tone of the pickups.