Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pub Gig Set Length

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
For those who play regularly , how long do you play for on a typical pub gig?

Back in the day it used to be 2 x 45 mins but with longer opening hours I assume that doesn't cut it anymore?

Got a pub gig next month so trying to sort out the set.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    When we did those kind of gigs semi-regularly we'd do three 45 min sets with 15 minute breaks, starting around 9 and aiming to be in the middle of playing our last song as midnight hit, then maybe with one more in the bag for an extra encore.

It worked well, we tried two longer sets a couple of times but it felt like a slog and it was hard to keep the energy up over three hours. With three sets you can bunch similar moods together, have a little acoustic slot at the end of set 2, let the other singers in the band do a couple and just generally shake things up a little.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited October 2016
    2 x 45 minute sets, standard. If they want more, it's more money.

My last set usually runs on for nearly an hour though, especially if we are enjoying ourselves.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    We do about 35 songs in 3 hours with a 15 min break.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Usually 2 x 1 hour sets, plus a bit extra for genuine encores. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    2x45 mins, second set longer if it's going well. I'm fairly sure any longer and punters find it fatiguing. 

FWIW I still like the 'greatest hit' approach, if you don't know that many songs, where if you have something strong in the first set you can use it to close the second or for an encore. By the end of the second set ( this is pubs rather than functions) you may be playing to different people or same people but more drunk and there's been a decent gap anyway. For encores you can re use songs from the first set.

Anywhere we've played with extended hours they usually have a DJ on until the wee hours rather than the band. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    We do 3x45 too with 15 mins between each but in some cases we do 2x1hr - singer seems to prefer the longer sets
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Varies,some gigs are 2 x 45 mins others are 2 x 1hr depending on venue.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thanks for all the replies. Currently looking at 1x45 and 1x 60min .

"I'm fairly sure any longer and punters find it fatiguing."  never thought about that but I think this is very true.
    IMHO most punters only really care about the last 20 mins of the night and then complain when you finish.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    45-50min first set and 1hr second is pretty normal - sometimes slightly more but fees go up for more than that.  
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    bobblehat said:

IMHO most punters only really care about the last 20 mins of the night and then complain when you finish.
    They don't give a shit as long as some music is happening. I enforced a policy of, as soon as we finish our absolute last tune, something else has to start playing. Whether that's the jukebox, a DJ or just somebody's phone through the PA, something has to happen. No complaints.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    Depends on the pub. Some have to finish at 11:30 because of noise restrictions. Some want to continue until 12:00 or later. We generally start at 9:00, and take a short break. That's 30 to 35 songs played, with another 15 to 20 ready to go if the audience is leaning a particular way.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    We do a mix of 2 x 45 or 2 x 60 minute sets for pub stuff, depending on the pub, more than that needs to be more money as pubs don't usually pay nearly what they should, especially down in brighton!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28145
    bobblehat said:

What most people remember of any given experience is the best bit, the worst bit and the last bit. If the best bit wasn't great, or the worst bit wasn't awful, they don't remember that either.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • We do somewhere between 2x1 hour and 2x1.5 hours.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • bobblehat said:
    Thanks for all the replies. Currently looking at 1x45 and 1x 60min .

That fits with my general experience of pub gigs. Corporate functions used to be about an hour for the first set and sometimes longer for the second set, but it varies a lot.
    It's not a competition.
  • As they years have gone by the length of the sets has increased now tend to do 1 hr first set and 1 to 1hr 30 second set depending on the venue. So pushing 40 odd tunes on a long gig 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    We do 1x45 and 1x60 with maybe 3 encore tunes. We've done 90 minute second halves a few times when it's been going well. It's hard not to get swept along when they're enjoying it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    We normally start around 9-15 and do an hour first set and about an hour and 20 minutes second set...15 - 20 minute break in between...ending around the midnight mark...most pubs want punters out by about 20 past midnight round our neck of the woods.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31581
    An hour for the first set, anything from 1 to 1 1/2 hrs for the second. 

To us the hassle is driving there, loading in and out and setting up, once we're there we'll play as long as anyone wants us to within reason, playing guitar is not the shitty part of gigging so I see no point in rationing it. 

We do have two lead singers though, so stamina is not an issue for us. 
  • Two 45's is standard in North Wales. We will go longer on the second if the dancefloor is going mad and we are not hurting too much!

We go 2 x 1 hour if requested (for more money), but we would physically struggle to play longer than that.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.