Custom Cool etch parts

What's Hot
Chris_akaBBBChris_akaBBB Frets: 6
edited January 2014 in Making & Modding

Hello.  Not sure this is the right place - sure mods will tell me if not - but just saying hello.  I'm half of the Custom CoolEtch team https://www.facebook.com/CustomCooletch and www.customcooletch.co.uk (website not right yet!!). We do etched metal parts (mostly scratchplates so far) for guitars, from reliced rust-o-matics to pristine shiny shinies (ish).  So far we're OK on replacement plates for telecaster guitars and strats, and are also OK with early 60s LP jrs and custom cuts (as long as not too big!).  Could probably manage replacement plates for Jazz style basses too.  I also build guitars and use CCE parts on them - just starting out a spin off business from Custom CoolEtch.  We're starting to make inroads now and look forward to eventually covering our costs, ha ha!  Here's some pics.  Happy to take any feedback - positive or negative!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My other half, Jane, does all the design, etching and finishing, and also cuts a lot of the stuff by hand.  She's a silversmith (and art jeweller) by trade.  I just try to sell them, perform live and now make guitars for sale again too - just ditched the day job which is very very scarey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might need a tele Scratchplate from you. Problem is, the rest of the hardware is chrome so might look a bit weird.

Still, I love the work, I've been waiting for something like this to arrive! Make sure you do neck plates, too - I've wanted a cool, tattoo-esque design on one forever...
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cool to see you made it here Chris - still in love with the 'plate on my Jr...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m227c6lA_pI/Us8JAdU_7uI/AAAAAAAAGwI/E-5Y3o39eJM/s1600/IMG_5145.JPG

Great folks to deal with chaps, highly recommended (for what my opinion is worth, anyway)

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Love those etched plates, pure class IMO.

The scary move will pay off and you will *never* want to go back, trust me.
    We are probably through the worst of this economic downturn, and it will help you run a tight ship, skills which will see you well after the recovery.  So a great time to start out I recon.

Good luck and welcome on 'board'  
    :)

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Prices, how to order etc? Can't see anything on your website
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Would you be able to do one for a semi acoustic,if so how much
  • Compliments to Jane, that is lovely work indeed. 

=D>

Welcome, and good luck with the venture.

• I might need a tele Scratchplate from you. Problem is, the rest of the hardware is chrome so might look a bit weird.

Still, I love the work, I've been waiting for something like this to arrive! Make sure you do neck plates, too - I've wanted a cool, tattoo-esque design on one forever...

We've done a lot to sit beside chrome and they look good - the 52 above for example, and there's a nice agave blue MIM tele one we did for a guy in the states too.  See below.  Happy to help if we can.

imageimage

• further said:
    Would you be able to do one for a semi acoustic,if so how much

Wasn't sure I should be putting prices up on here but our standard 'plates (like standard replacements for telecasters or Stratocasters) retail for £95 (loads of work in them folks!), and custom cuts are different prices because of the cutting required, and the sizes - we have a bunch of tele and strat plates already factory cut you see, but Jane cuts everything else by hand (and she's usually better than the factory tbh!!).

A semi should be fine (we can't go bigger than a strat yet), as long as we can use your existing plate as a template, or you can supply us with a template.  You can email us for more discussion (or is there a PM thing on here?) at contact@customcooletch.co.uk - Jane and I see all emails :)

• dean2371 said:
    Prices, how to order etc? Can't see anything on your website
    Yeah Dean the website isn't sorted yet :(  See above?
  • Love those etched plates, pure class IMO.

The scary move will pay off and you will *never* want to go back, trust me.
    We are probably through the worst of this economic downturn, and it will help you run a tight ship, skills which will see you well after the recovery.  So a great time to start out I recon.

Good luck and welcome on 'board'  
    :)
    Thanks for the welcome.  I hope you're right too.  Already thinking of downsizing the house now the kids have moved on - well, ish, anyway....  Need to reduce our living costs ha ha!
  • Compliments to Jane, that is lovely work indeed. 

=D>

Welcome, and good luck with the venture.

Thanks - yes she's pretty special and extremely talented.  Scarey at times like.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Hello and welcome to  theFB , Chris. :)

This discussion might be better off in the "Made in the UK" category.
    I'll move it there (or you can do it yourself) if you agree. ;)
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    that bound tele is the sexiest tele on the planet, i will definately be in the market for a scratchplate once ive built a decent enough tele to do it justice.(apologies but could be a while)!
  • Hi ddlooping. Thanks for suggestion and yes please move it. I don't know how to yet.
  • Chris_akaBBBChris_akaBBB Frets: 6
    edited January 2014
    t1000 said:
    that bound tele is the sexiest tele on the planet, i will definately be in the market for a scratchplate once ive built a decent enough tele to do it justice.(apologies but could be a while
    It's one of my three main gigging guitars - that, an esquire and an old SG100 with an added humbucker which I use for slide ;)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Oh and Chris, that quote button sticks a litlle ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    Welcome to the site mate, how are you getting on with the Oil City pickups?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

•  IMAGINE ETCHED PICKUP COVERS.
  • But seriously, they look fab.  I reckon a nice addition to the range would be the neck plate - it would use less material, so reduce cost and make for a more 'available' item.  It's also an ideal 'tester' to see if people like the effect or not.

Just my thoughts.  

But seriously

etched pickups.  A humbucker rusted and relic'd with a rose etched into it would look AWESOME.