Musical Box - Genesis tribute

What's Hot
Went to see them last night, thoroughly enjoyable.
Talk about retro - the guitarist used a H/H cash-convertors tranny head and pulled off an impressive Steve Hackett sound.
His pedal board would have looked a bit shoddy for a pub band.
Was all a bit humbling...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Will check this out on YouTube.
    It's all about the playing!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302

Talk about retro - the guitarist used a H/H cash-convertors tranny head and pulled off an impressive Steve Hackett sound.
    Isn't that what Hackett actually used back in the day?

I don't know, I'm just guessing based on them being quite a popular and (surprisingly, by modern tastes) highly-regarded amp back then - a lot of big-name bands used them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Isn't that what Hackett actually used back in the day?

Indeed.
    Just thought it was taking tribute a bit far.
    Was expecting kemper all the way!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    JohnnyPlectrum said:

Indeed.
    Just thought it was taking tribute a bit far.
    It's not a rare amp, or expensive, so you might as well… it would be a bit different if he'd used a Dumble back then!

His pedal board would have looked a bit shoddy for a pub band.
    His Wind & Wuthering-era Cornish board was on Ebay a few years ago - if I remember rightly it didn't even go for that much, just a couple of grand I think. Pretty basic and roughly-looking by modern standards - maybe this chap bought it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Every time I saw Dr Feelgood, Wilko was using an HH and sounded great.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Hackett used two fuzz boxes (I can't remember the exact ones), a volume and a wah pedal for most of the classic Genesis stuff. Initially into a Marshall head but changed to the HH "for reliability". He later used Acoustic amps.

If I was trying to recreate those classic Hackett sounds, I wouldn't use a Kemper or similar... it wouldn't look right on stage and what's the point? Its easier to do with the real thing.

Anyway... HH amps are fantastic sounding!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• having done a google job I'm even more humbled - the guitarists shoddy pedalboard was an exact replica of Hackett's shoddy pedalboard.
    I'm confident that Hackett didn't wear a wig though...

The other piece of kit he uses is this:

I want one purely for the sound from 'Entangled' - I just haven't got close to that sound using other pedals.