Painting over stickers...

Has anyone ever tried doing this? Does it end in a big old mess?

I'm wondering if it might be better to prepare a collage on photoshop and get a print done on a thin adhesive plastic, but I've no idea if it's possible.

It's for an el cheapo guitar, so nothing's going to get totally ruined by this idea, but it'd be nice to know if anyone has already tried anything similar. Cheers :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Im a bit confused what you intend to do, do you mean clear lacquer over stickers?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yes
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I've seen a couple done like that, with newpaper/magazine cuttings stuck on and covered with varnish. Not that neat up close, but serviceable enough and properly arty-looking.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've painted over water transfers with nail varnish before. Not the neatest but ok
  • I'm thinking Panini stickers for a bit of vintage football action. When it were a man's game and all that ;-)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I did this Comicaster years ago, crappy strat body, 3 strings, open G, slide.....

The front back and headstock were done with copies of comics from tinternet, copod and pasted in miniature on the pc, and all filled an A4 paper size collage, printed on clear waterslide paper, a couple of thin coats of lacquer to seal the water based ink, applied to the guitar and sealed in place with. ore lacquer, applying 2 A4 size waterslide transfers was fun!

It worked very well and was a bit of fun!

You could scan and print your football cards and apply then individually or as a collage......

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpsd7703b71.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Original John Birch logos are a metal foil sticker just lacquered over.  Almost all of them curl or peel slightly over the years.

stickers like that tend to have a fair layer of adhesive which will never sit great under lacquer.  You might get away with it more if the adhesive is thin and hard

waterslides work much better under lacquer
  • It seems that scanning and making a waterslide is the best way here. Thanks for all the input chaps :-)