Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Roland Jazz Chorus 22

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sassafras said:
    Now you're talking.
    Basically, I want this in an amp.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Very nice. Just wish they'd make one without chorus.

You can turn off the chorus on them my friend.  They are a very, very clean amp.  If you wanted a jazz amp without the chorus you would be better going for a Jazz Kat or DV Mark.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Small amp for home use and yet without exception the 'homes' shown in the video are massive spaces where you could conceivably use a much bigger amp !

Not one of them is living in a pokey flat share just near the ring road !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sassafras said:
    Very nice. Just wish they'd make one without chorus.

You can turn off the chorus on them my friend.  They are a very, very clean amp.  If you wanted a jazz amp without the chorus you would be better going for a Jazz Kat or DV Mark.

Yeah, I know, I was joking.
    Anyone who's read any of my posts knows I never miss a chance to bang on at great length about how much I hate chorus. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    DrBob said:
    Small amp for home use and yet without exception the 'homes' shown in the video are massive spaces where you could conceivably use a much bigger amp !

The Roland Jazz Hipster .. ideal for beaded latte drinking jazzers who live in studio lofts in the more fashionable areas of London ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Fretwired said:
    DrBob said:

The Roland Jazz Hipster .. ideal for beaded latte drinking jazzers who live in studio lofts in the more fashionable areas of London ... :-)
    Nothing says musical angst quite like heading out to your brick outbuilding for some clean tone musings whilst surrounded by your  vintage motor bike collection....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The intro to the song in the video is definitely used in another song, although annoyingly I can't find it. Any ideas?
    It's quite reminiscent of James Bay's 'Hold Back The River', although it's not the same - the phrasing and tone is similar though.

I really wanted this until I saw the price… now I'm not sure. Yes, it sounds good, but that's a lot of money for a 30W solid-state amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I'm beginning to consider a whole collection of 'house' amps; one of these, a PRRI, a Vox AC10, a Mesa MkV 25, etc.... 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sounds v. nice. I'd pay the extra and get the 40w version though.

That intro sounds just like a piece I'm working on, moving up and down the fretboard in 10ths. Damn it.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    mellowsun said:
    Sounds v. nice. I'd pay the extra and get the 40w version though.

That intro sounds just like a piece I'm working on, moving up and down the fretboard in 10ths. Damn it.
    Sounds like sonething by "Explosions in the Sky."

You could always go up in 11ths.  (That's one more intervals.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Veganic said:

Sounds like sonething by "Explosions in the Sky."
    Or God Is An Astronaut, or Maybeshewill… I'm convinced these are all the same band with a different cover story :).

(I like them, by the way!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Did anyone get one of these, or try them?  I have a Katana 100 which is great, but It's a similar size and weight to my Princeton, so it's only getting used at home. I fancy something small, solid state with a nice clean tone that is ultra portable.

I've looked at the DV Mark as well.

@menamestom .. I actually bought one. I love it. It is great for home use and the stereo speakers create an expansive sound. It takes pedals and FX units well either via the front or via the FX loop. I have tried a few drive pedals which work very well - I'm not into metal so no extreme tones. Roland do bill it as the ultimate home practice amp - it has a great sound and loads of features so worth checking out.

• No kidding, I am writing a short intro theme on guitar for a youtube channel and it basically sounds almost identical to the first few seconds of this video. I was inspired by John Fru (what a surprise) with his two note chords. 
  • Fretwired said:
    @menamestom .. I actually bought one. I love it. It is great for home use and the stereo speakers create an expansive sound. It takes pedals and FX units well either via the front or via the FX loop. I have tried a few drive pedals which work very well - I'm not into metal so no extreme tones. Roland do bill it as the ultimate home practice amp - it has a great sound and loads of features so worth checking out.

Great, I'll get and try one.  I play mainly clean or slight breakup, so it's good to know they take pedals well.
  • How is the distortion on these, it's not that important because I can use my Zoom G5, this would be great with that, I can finally use proper stereo. 
  • How is the distortion on these, it's not that important because I can use my Zoom G5, this would be great with that, I can finally use proper stereo. 

No distortion on the JC-22, you have to go to the JC-40 for that
    How is the distortion on these, it's not that important because I can use my Zoom G5, this would be great with that, I can finally use proper stereo. 
    There's no distortion which is a good thing as the Jazz Chorus distortion was horrible. I'm using an old DS-1 or a Blues Driver and they sound great.

Check this out:

• Fretwired said:
    How is the distortion on these, it's not that important because I can use my Zoom G5, this would be great with that, I can finally use proper stereo. 
    There's no distortion which is a good thing as the Jazz Chorus distortion was horrible. I'm using an old DS-1 or a Blues Driver and they sound great.

Check this out:

Sounds shockingly like the sort of tones I aim for, albeit with different kit. 

These are really interesting times - I was looking at selling my ac15 for a Boss Katana but then this comes up and I'm stumped. 

Also, don't you think those tones on the video are *interesting*? Like, they sound different to the tones everyone else seems to peddle these days. This really does sound like it's own box of fun. 

Sounds shockingly like the sort of tones I aim for, albeit with different kit. 

These are really interesting times - I was looking at selling my ac15 for a Boss Katana but then this comes up and I'm stumped. 

Also, don't you think those tones on the video are *interesting*? Like, they sound different to the tones everyone else seems to peddle these days. This really does sound like it's own box of fun. 
    The amp is neutral - great for clean jangling and jazz (I play both) and it works well for ambient noodling with delays and reverbs. The Jazz Chorus 22 is different from that other Jazz Chorus amps. Reading the blurb it has been designed as something you can craft your own sound by adding pedals or a multi FX unit from Boss/Zoom/Line 6 etc.

I've been recording with it and I must say I like the results.