First practice with in ears!

What's Hot
GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
WOW!

We rehearse in a pretty small room...

My ears don't ring, I could hear the drummer like he was in a studio, and he was not miced up, I could hear the singers breathing!

Why did I not do this long ago!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I've been giving this a thought re; practice and gigging (and age, and tinnitus....). Which ones are you using out of interest? Cheers.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I use Shure SE215, so pretty much the cheapest they make.

I really like them, I will probably upgrade eventually, as the drums are loud enough to get through, but I love them!

• What are you feeding them? Are all your isntruments going into a desk or are you just putting yourself back through them?

Id love to try in ears but dont want the hassle of trying to force my whole band down that route :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    What are you feeding them? Are all your isntruments going into a desk or are you just putting yourself back through them?

Id love to try in ears but dont want the hassle of trying to force my whole band down that route :)
    Drums - bleed through
    3 vocalists - mics
    bass - bleed through - might take the line out though
    rhythm guitar - only just audible, again might line out or mic
    lead (mine) guitar - straight to desk this time, semi acoustic gretsch, might have to mic or line out for other guitars and live

Hope that helps :)

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    @GIJoe ta for that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
    edited February 2014
    In our band we have drums, 2 lead vocals (male and female) , bass player and guitars. Guitars and bass are using wireless (line 6).....vocals are wireless apart from the backing vocals..... How would we take the whole band to in ears ??? We are all getting tired of crappy venue monitors - but we always use someone else's PA (either the venue or hired in) - so what gear would we need in addition to the in ears and the wireless kit? ........ Does anyone feel like a bit of a twat using them?...........I am sure the local sound guys will give us some stick if we turn up with them and ask them to do any extra work! A local band at a venue we were at on a shared billing had them - the sound guys were bitching all night....."who the fook do they think they are..U2?!?!?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Sound guys love IEM's ...... no feedback issues, no honky wedge sound spoiling the FOH mix. It's all pros and no cons. All you need for your IEM's are aux sends, the same type of sends you need for running wedge monitors

Course these days it's nice to have 2 aux sends per band member, so you can all have stereo IEM mix's ..... sounds much nicer. Old analog boards won't have enough sends but most digital desks will. On some desks you can control your monitor mix from your iPhone, iPod touch etc or have someone mixing all the IEM's from an iPad. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    dealmaker said:
    In our band we have drums, 2 lead vocals (male and female) , bass player and guitars. Guitars and bass are using wireless (line 6).....vocals are wireless apart from the backing vocals..... How would we take the whole band to in ears ??? We are all getting tired of crappy venue monitors - but we always use someone else's PA (either the venue or hired in) - so what gear would we need in addition to the in ears and the wireless kit? ........ Does anyone feel like a bit of a twat using them?...........I am sure the local sound guys will give us some stick if we turn up with them and ask them to do any extra work! A local band at a venue we were at on a shared billing had them - the sound guys were bitching all night....."who the fook do they think they are..U2?!?!?"
    Generally in that sort of scenario, your own digital desk and rack with IEM transmitters/amps and a splitter would probably be best.  Youturn up and patch into your rig.  You then 'tap' feeds off all channels using splitters for the FOH.  Nothing changes for soundman, you get to control your mixes.